what to ask a business advisor?

bigdave

I've got a meeting with an independent business advisor at the weekend to find out what needs to be done to get my own business up and running. When I spoke to her to arrange the appointment I asked if I needed to bring anything, she replied "Just bring your questions" and thats my problem! Because I don't know what I need to know, I don't know what questions I need to ask.

I don't want to turn up and just stare blankly at her for an hour so I though I'd turn to you lot for some help... What kind of things should I be asking at this meeting? What sort of information and guidance should I expect from her?

I know this sounds pretty stupid and raises some questions as to why I'm going to see her if I don't know what I need from her but seeing someone like this is supposed to really help get the business side of a startup company organised and I don't want it to be a waste of time (and money).

Dave: give me ring at work and I'll spend 15 minutes one to one with you t o go thru things.You can find my number on my website. just mention Design Forums

bigdave said:
I've got a meeting with an independent business advisor at the weekend to find out what needs to be done to get my own business up and running. When I spoke to her to arrange the appointment I asked if I needed to bring anything, she replied "Just bring your questions" and thats my problem! Because I don't know what I need to know, I don't know what questions I need to ask.

I don't want to turn up and just stare blankly at her for an hour so I though I'd turn to you lot for some help... What kind of things should I be asking at this meeting? What sort of information and guidance should I expect from her?

I know this sounds pretty stupid and raises some questions as to why I'm going to see her if I don't know what I need from her but seeing someone like this is supposed to really help get the business side of a startup company organised and I don't want it to be a waste of time (and money).
You don't know what you don't know eh?

I would just ask what are your goals with your business. What motivates you? Why are you starting out on your own? I would also be doing a business plan and a marketing plan. Most governments have templates that you can use. This is a very good way to discover what you want to do. Even if you change your mind it will give you a direction.

Hope that helps!

Not sure if you've had the meeting yet but I'd agree in getting some advice on making a business plan and a marketing plan. It is a great way to solidify your aims as it can be really easy to put strategic/ planning work on the back burner when you don't have a set plan of action.

Back