Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this background image called?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by @GCarlD, Nov 13, 2017.

  1. @GCarlD

    @GCarlD Well-Known Member

    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 17.24.22.png

    Hi everyone,

    Does anyone know what the image in the background is called? Purely for searching purposes, I'm not looking to recreate the background effect myself from scratch. I would like to source a similar image to use in a design. My client sent it to me; she likes it as an idea due to the imagery {sigh} :(

    Thank you.
  2. Paul Murray

    Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

    hankscorpio and @GCarlD like this.
  3. @GCarlD

    @GCarlD Well-Known Member

    Yeah, that search term pretty much does the trick, cheers!
  4. scotty

    scotty Well-Known Member

    It's called "bokeh".
    @GCarlD likes this.
  5. @GCarlD

    @GCarlD Well-Known Member

    Oh yeah, I have heard of Bokeh before, not a word I ever remember though; probably because it sounds Vulcan.
  6. scotty

    scotty Well-Known Member

    Think it comes from Japanese.
  7. @GCarlD

    @GCarlD Well-Known Member

    Really? I thought Vulcan was a fictional language :D
  8. hankscorpio

    hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

    Isn't that just a photographic technique for blurring the background, where the foreground stays in focus???
  9. scotty

    scotty Well-Known Member

    Generally speaking, yes.

    It comes from the Japanese (Boke) and means blurry.
    It's become a general term for blurred points of light on the background of an image and Carl's image is the kind of stereotypical example of this.

Share This Page