Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Width?

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by miralize, Jan 14, 2009.

1. miralize

miralize Junior Member

Hey guys just a few questions.

Do you use fixed or fluid width for websites?

And for Fixed what sizes do you use usually? I either pick 760px or 960px but I think 800x600 screens are almost gone so I might switch to just 960px soon.

2. Thad

Thad Junior Member

It depends on the project for me.
    For fixed layouts I tend to use a width of 980px.

Here's some statistics about screen resolutions from the W3C: Browser Display Statistics

3. deluzione

deluzione Member

Yup, pretty much all my layouts are fixed to 960px.

4. Player

Player Junior Member

I think for fixed 960px is better and if use The Golden Ration than it is great! :)

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

As the other guys have already mentioned, I too design for 1024 x 768 upwards, so usually at around 950px width, and 9 times out of 10 go for a fixed centered site.

6. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

I used to do 778px width but have now switched to 960px width as hardly anyone uses 800x600 res anymore.

Cameron Moll has written a little bit about it here: Optimal width for 1024px resolution? ~ Authentic Boredom

As for fluid sites, I very rarely do them. I think I have had one client request it in my time as a Web Designer.

7. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Static or fluid depends on the project, but I tend to open a canvas of 1024 x 768, and work within that.

8. deluzione

deluzione Member

I don't know about that golden ratio. I mean, if everybody is designing their site like that, all sites will look the same. I try to be a little different every time (although a lot fo my sites are designed like that..)

9. Alex

Alex Member

I also use 980px, and nearly everything I do is fixed.

10. Player

Player Junior Member

It is not strongly recommended and you are free to make your choice! :)

11. Blacksnipe

Blacksnipe Junior Member

I use a fixed one of prox. 800 px...

Sometimes it might be something more, but I think the background should also be visible on the "standard screen size" (1024x768). Plus, in my school - 2 years ago - we still had to work with PC's that had 800x600 monitors, so I think there is a small amount of users that still match this profile, even though it's (very) few... :angel:

12. dcypher.co.uk

dcypher.co.uk Junior Member

Most of my designs are fixed centered sites and I'm now starting to use 960px width.

13. tim

tim Senior Member

since looking at some normal views of website's screen widths, I've changed from 950px to 850px. Otherwise they just about get the main content fully on-screen, but I put the background there for a reason.

14. Leventhan

Leventhan Junior Member

Naturally, since I often use the 960 grid framework mine's 960 px.
    Though fluid is nice as well.

15. Ralph23

Ralph23 Junior Member

Looks like 960px is the standard for most. I actually just started using that myself.

16. pjohnstone

pjohnstone Member

I still use 800px, but have already built one site to 1024px and will probably move to that in a few months.