Web Width?

miralize

Hey guys just a few questions.

Do you use fixed or fluid width for websites?

And for Fixed what sizes do you use usually? I either pick 760px or 960px but I think 800x600 screens are almost gone so I might switch to just 960px soon.

As the other guys have already mentioned, I too design for 1024 x 768 upwards, so usually at around 950px width, and 9 times out of 10 go for a fixed centered site.

Static or fluid depends on the project, but I tend to open a canvas of 1024 x 768, and work within that.

Player said:
I think for fixed 960px is better and if use The Golden Ration than it is great! :)
I don't know about that golden ratio. I mean, if everybody is designing their site like that, all sites will look the same. I try to be a little different every time (although a lot fo my sites are designed like that..)

deluzione said:
I don't know about that golden ratio. I mean, if everybody is designing their site like that, all sites will look the same. I try to be a little different every time (although a lot fo my sites are designed like that..)

It is not strongly recommended and you are free to make your choice! :)

I use a fixed one of prox. 800 px...

Sometimes it might be something more, but I think the background should also be visible on the "standard screen size" (1024x768). Plus, in my school - 2 years ago - we still had to work with PC's that had 800x600 monitors, so I think there is a small amount of users that still match this profile, even though it's (very) few... :angel:

since looking at some normal views of website's screen widths, I've changed from 950px to 850px. Otherwise they just about get the main content fully on-screen, but I put the background there for a reason.

Back