Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Travel Poster

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by iDesign, Dec 19, 2013.

1. iDesign

iDesign Member

Hello -
    I'm just about to start a rather exciting project. I need to come up with a vintage travel poster. It's for a huge sign and I'll be working from a photo.
    Has anyone ever done one before? What was your process? Some web sources suggest the "cutout" filter on PS. The thought of untangling all those layers when moved to Illustrator! :mellow:
    Thanks

2. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

I haven't necessarily done one but I have studied the heck out of them because I love the typography. The shapes are bold, colors a little muted, and texture texture texture. Like a light grain on everything. :)

iDesign likes this.
  3. iDesign

iDesign Member

I can see the grain is important on those that I've looked at. I was thinking the shortcut option but I've decided to work from scratch in illustrator with a view of adding grain etc in PS.
    Thanks for the advice :D

4. floriographic

floriographic Member

I would say definitely draw from scratch in Illustrator rather than use the cut out filter, that normally looks amateurish, you have a lot more control drawing in Illustrator. Like Shauna said grainy textures and strong shapes and typography are very important. I started a set of travel posters a while ago but never go to around to finishing them. Here are a couple of my favourite vintage inspired travel poster collections that might help get your creative juices flowing!

http://jakeearly.com/series.php?name=California%20Mountain%20Series

https://www.andersondesigngroupstore.com/store-cat-gallery.html

5. iDesign

iDesign Member

Hey floriographic,
    Thanks for the links! I absolutely love vintage! There is some great work on those links. I agree. Working from scratch is going to save so many issues down the line and be much more controllable.
    :)

floriographic likes this.
  6. ahat84

ahat84 New Member

Yes it is easy to do but require some working.

7. lucy

lucy Member

I think we should see more vintage on the web. I agree that working from scratch helps save time and money in the long run. I took a look at the links, some interesting designs on there. Thanks for sharing

8. Ambee404

Ambee404 New Member

This has come quite handy. I have been trying to increase comments on my site to get some search engine love.