Vintage Travel Poster

iDesign

Hello -
I'm just about to start a rather exciting project. I need to come up with a vintage travel poster. It's for a huge sign and I'll be working from a photo.
Has anyone ever done one before? What was your process? Some web sources suggest the "cutout" filter on PS. The thought of untangling all those layers when moved to Illustrator! :mellow:
Thanks

I haven't necessarily done one but I have studied the heck out of them because I love the typography. The shapes are bold, colors a little muted, and texture texture texture. Like a light grain on everything. :)

shaunlynn said:
I haven't necessarily done one but I have studied the heck out of them because I love the typography. The shapes are bold, colors a little muted, and texture texture texture. Like a light grain on everything. :)
I can see the grain is important on those that I've looked at. I was thinking the shortcut option but I've decided to work from scratch in illustrator with a view of adding grain etc in PS.
Thanks for the advice :D

I would say definitely draw from scratch in Illustrator rather than use the cut out filter, that normally looks amateurish, you have a lot more control drawing in Illustrator. Like Shauna said grainy textures and strong shapes and typography are very important. I started a set of travel posters a while ago but never go to around to finishing them. Here are a couple of my favourite vintage inspired travel poster collections that might help get your creative juices flowing!

http://jakeearly.com/series.php?name=California%20Mountain%20Series

https://www.andersondesigngroupstore.com/store-cat-gallery.html

Hey floriographic,
Thanks for the links! I absolutely love vintage! There is some great work on those links. I agree. Working from scratch is going to save so many issues down the line and be much more controllable.
:)

iDesign said:
Hey floriographic,
Thanks for the links! I absolutely love vintage! There is some great work on those links. I agree. Working from scratch is going to save so many issues down the line and be much more controllable.
:)
I think we should see more vintage on the web. I agree that working from scratch helps save time and money in the long run. I took a look at the links, some interesting designs on there. Thanks for sharing

This has come quite handy. I have been trying to increase comments on my site to get some search engine love.

Back