The New GAP Logo

& so the crowd gathers!

I can really see them ending up with Helvetica on the old blue square, like so:
GAP.gif

That's my effort, I guess that wouldn't have caused much of a stir/PR storm though!

Greg said:
& so the crowd gathers!

I can really see them ending up with Helvetica on the old blue square

That's my effort, I guess that wouldn't have caused much of a stir/PR storm though!

The kerning's a bit too close on that Helvetica/blue square logo ;)

No I don't think so, I think 99designs have taken it upon themselves to set the brief and give the prize as a 'just for fun' contest on this one (after seeing GAPs Facebook update). Either way I'm sure they will be getting a ton of backlinks from the contest and added exposure (good & bad) to cover their prize fund.

Imagine their press department is praying for a call from GAP to make it official! :D

I really don't like it for what it is. It doesn't suit the company at all - Gap is a fashion brand, the new logo makes me think of some big fat American corporation. While I was reading some of the replies I did think maybe - big maybe! - they could pull it off without the gradiant square ( :confused: ) which I see Greg has sort of done:

Greg said:

That on it's own looks alot better for the brand than what they now have.

This has definitely ruffled a few feathers over on Twitter!

Judging by the updates from Gap, and the reaction it's received, I don't think it will be around for long, clearly they didn't have much confidence in it if they weren't willing to give it a big launch, and have backtracked within a couple of days of 'launching' it.

Good decision from Gap!!
Ok. We’ve heard loud and clear that you don’t like the new logo. We’ve learned a lot from the feedback. We only want what’s best for the brand and our customers. So instead of crowd sourcing, we’re bringing back the Blue Box tonight.
Gap Inc. - Media - Press Releases
BBC News - Gap scraps new logo after online outcry
Quite the u-turn!

“We’ve learned a lot in this process. And we are clear that we did not go about this in the right way. We recognize that we missed the opportunity to engage with the online community. This wasn’t the right project at the right time for crowd sourcing.
“There may be a time to evolve our logo, but if and when that time comes, we’ll handle it in a different way. “

Back