The New GAP Logo

Now that is funny! They U-Turned through online pressure! YAY!

We recognize that we missed the opportunity to engage with the online community. This wasn’t the right project at the right time for crowd sourcing.

I find this statement a bit arrogant - the very nature of 'crowd sourcing' capitalises on individuals' creative skills and takes advantage of their eagerness to succeed in their field, and is frowned upon by [I'm guessing] the majority of design professionals. It feels to me like the only reason they had such a large number of 'design' entries is because the entrants want to be famous for creating, or at least conceptualising, the new GAP logo. I would have preferred to see the entries from anonymous designers! And the contrived way they went about unveiling a 'new logo' to invigorate new ideas really didn't go down well at all. Maybe us Brits are just a bit too cynical for those gullible yanks.

Looks like GAP assume there will be a right time for this project. Unfortunately.

I'm not sure that it's arrogrant to be honest, I'd say that's a company that actually values the work of the designer (but maybe not so much the one they hired for this) and are prepared to pay a fair price for their rebranding rather than trying to get it for nothing online like some do.

Considering the size of GAP you would expect them to hire a designer etc, if they'd have tried to crowd source it they'd have likely received loads of bad press for trying to be cheap etc.

Levi said:
I'm not sure that it's arrogrant to be honest, I'd say that's a company that actually values the work of the designer (but maybe not so much the one they hired for this) and are prepared to pay a fair price for their rebranding rather than trying to get it for nothing online like some do.

The trouble is their first response to the negative reaction was to say they'd be announcing details of a crowdsourcing contest!

Levi said:
Considering the size of GAP you would expect them to hire a designer etc, if they'd have tried to crowd source it they'd have likely received loads of bad press for trying to be cheap etc.

That's exactly what happened in a way!
Following the second wave of negative comments about the crowdsourcing route Gap were planning, they have then decided to revert back to their original logo. They've received a ton of PR off the back of all of this, but their decisions and timing have been pretty poor IMO :rolleyes:

they do say that any publicity is good publicity and even though we don't like the logo the amount of press gap have got from it must make up for it. Just think how much they've saved in rebranding their stores etc and it's also brought gap into the public's eye when they go into town shopping.

For all we know this could have been a cleverly orchestrated advert for the brand, that design could be knocked up by anyone half decent with a computer and it's there way of hiding the fact they didn't want to hire a pro - obviously I'd like to think this isn't the case.

As to the first response of crowdsourcing, maybe it was a case of well clearly our first design(er) was crap, best we get out there and get a new one done. But we've just paid out a load of money (I reckon somewhere over 20k), so what's our cheapest option.....

Also if you think about it the only other logo I can think of that has had this much news is the new itunes one, the myspace one has basically been ignored, argos and wilkinsons were as well and none of them are really that good either, but they didn't get the same sort of media outcry.

At the end of the day you can't blame GAP for changing their minds, it might have not been the best announcements in the world but in the current climate a company that mainly uses bricks and mortar to sell stuff is under a lot of pressure and if their existing clients don't like it then clearly they've done something wrong.

I just read about the official retraction in papers, i can see its old hat now, damn ink is slow!

Hmmmmm

All whiffs a bit of pulling a clever and very cheap publicity stunt to me.
If this is indeed the case should the design industry be flattered or insulted?

Have Gap highlighted how important good design and branding is or have they made a mockery of the whole creative process?

I feel a blog post coming on... I hope my internet connection gets sorted at home soon!

Krey20 said:
I feel a blog post coming on... I hope my internet connection gets sorted at home soon!

Wondered where you'd been recently Ken, hope you get it sorted soon, and I look forward to reading the post on your blog soon :)

glenwheeler said:
I would of thrown stones at it

Not a fan then? :rolleyes:
The blue gradient square in the 'p' would have made a good target if nothing else?

On 99designs someone started a contest for a new GAP logo, which has now ended. People have to vote for their favorite entry through the Facebook like button.
Design a better GAP Logo (Community Project) | 99designs

5780056-original

This beautiful design already has gathered quite some likes compared to more viable alternatives. I haven't flipped through the pages yet, and there is no way of sorting on amount of Facebook likes, but if that design wins I'm gonna hunt down that designer and kick his ass :down:

Back