Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Awesome Website Design

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by mrleesimpson, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Nothing beats a bad case of creative block like being inspired by someone else work. In this thread post your best of the best website designs.

Designer: Who designed/developed the site plus their URL?
    Client: Who was the site designed/developed for?
    URL: Where the site lives
    Languages: The make up of the site (i.e. HTML/CSS, Flash, JavaScript, API)

NOTE: Please don't post your own work. This is not a promotion thread.
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

3. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

4. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

5. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Designer: 4internet
    Client: 4internet
    URL: 4internet
    Languages: CSS/HTML

Although the overall design of this isn't amazing, that header graphic is unreal!
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

That's a really cool graphic, reminds me of this site that again has an amazing header graphic whilst the overall design isn't amazing...

Designer: Dizzain
    Client: Dizzain
  7. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Designer: Paul Burgess
    Client: Dark Daze
    Languages: HTML/CSS, Flickr API

The design of this site isn't visual stunning (not that it needs to be becuase of the photography) but the backend works like a dream. Perfect example of using an existing online application as the backend for a website.
  8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Designer: August Agency
    Client: August Agency
    Languages: HTML/CSS, Flash

Recently featured on a Web Designer Wall post for 80 large background websites, love the subtle fade and the choice of photography for each page/section of the site. The rest of the design is very clean/simple and sits well with the large background images.
  9. LemonPromotions

LemonPromotions Junior Member

Designer: Unknown
    Client: Mobyko

From a pure useability point of view (it doesnt look bad either) I suppose mobyko is THE website I wish I had designed, and probably THE online idea I wish I had thought of......and its also a site I use daily, I send my SMS from their so I can track them easily.
  10. Tommy

Tommy Junior Member

Client: 2 advanced
    Languages: Flash

I its not really all the flashy in and outs of menus and the loading of menus which I think is great I think it is the attention to detail on the background images especially the portfolio section, I just think it is amazing.
  11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Designer: Bio-Bak (?)
    Client: Bio-Bak
    Languages: Flash

Insane, crazy fun use of flash!
    Definitely worth trying out in full screen with a bit of sound.
  12. Victoria Kelly

Victoria Kelly Junior Member

Designer: Brian Katzel
    Client: We Bleed Design
    Languages: CSS I think?

I came across this last night and I think it is beautiful! I'm not sure about if the technical side of it is perfect, that's not my niche as I'm a designer for print but from that perspective I think the design is cool and it made me smile!
  13. matt

matt Member

LOVE the rainbow thing in the middle. Simple, but very effective. Can't believe I haven't seen that done before.
  14. Victoria Kelly

It's so cool isn't it, would love to know how it was done. It's similar to the Orange "Good things should never end" campaign I think?
  15. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Victoria,

Great find, really like that site, and you can't help but scroll down all the way to the bottom! very clever use of images and CSS.

They have their main 'rainbow' image fixed to the top of the window, so when you scroll it moves with you and then the other images just layered above that with transparent areas so you see the rainbow graphic through them I think.

For example this section has the white areas cut out, allowing the rainbow image to be seen through the transparent gaps, very simple but very effective!

EDIT: Yes here is the CSS for that rainbow image, fixing it at the top of the screen...

body { (line 17)background-attachment:fixed;background-image:url(IMG URL);background-position:50% 0;background-repeat:no-repeat;
  16. peekaboo

peekaboo Senior Member

Awesome effect yet so simple!

Love it!

17. Victoria Kelly

Thanks Greg for the know-how, it really is the simple things in life isn't it!
  18. warrengroom

warrengroom Junior Member

Does anyone else now face that moral dilema...

Looking at that affect, knowing how simple and effective it is I just want to play with my own versions, my own designs - but should it come to making one of them live, i'd really hesitate knowing that it stems from someone else initiative.

Most of what we do, we share with designers all over the world, ideas, concepts and such like are what drives progression - but when I come across something really cool and unique, I get this big guilty feeling when wanting to take it and make it my own....

Is it just me??
  19. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right this thread brought a technqiue I heard about about 6 months ago to the top of my mind.

Any way 10 mins of searching and I found a variation of it.

Pure CSS ~ Not sure who the original author was as I first saw it being used with a cloud background, on an actual design.

But to get it to work you have to resize your browser horizontally, even though vertically does work as well ~

Starry Night by CSS-Tricks

It is by far the best CSS trick I have ever seen.

I also came accross this one while I was looking for the other 1, scroll down to see the effect, again pure CSS ~

stu nicholls | CSS PLaY | background experiment with css

20. tim

tim Senior Member

flipping heck! this site is amazing!

made me laugh so much for the sheer amazing technical side of the site and the added extras like the sound effects!

this design is one of the best sites i've seen in ages!