Super Awesome Website Design

M

mrleesimpson

Nothing beats a bad case of creative block like being inspired by someone else work. In this thread post your best of the best website designs.

Structure

Designer: Who designed/developed the site plus their URL?
Client: Who was the site designed/developed for?
URL: Where the site lives
Languages: The make up of the site (i.e. HTML/CSS, Flash, JavaScript, API)

NOTE: Please don't post your own work. This is not a promotion thread.

Designer: 4internet
Client: 4internet
URL: 4internet
Languages: CSS/HTML

Although the overall design of this isn't amazing, that header graphic is unreal!

mrleesimpson said:
Although the overall design of this isn't amazing, that header graphic is unreal!

That's a really cool graphic, reminds me of this site that again has an amazing header graphic whilst the overall design isn't amazing...

Designer: Dizzain
Client: Dizzain
URL: www.Dizzain.com

Designer: Paul Burgess
Client: Dark Daze
URL: www.darkdaze.org
Languages: HTML/CSS, Flickr API

The design of this site isn't visual stunning (not that it needs to be becuase of the photography) but the backend works like a dream. Perfect example of using an existing online application as the backend for a website.

Designer: Unknown
Client: Mobyko
URL: www.mobyko.com

From a pure useability point of view (it doesnt look bad either) I suppose mobyko is THE website I wish I had designed, and probably THE online idea I wish I had thought of......and its also a site I use daily, I send my SMS from their so I can track them easily.

Designer: Brian Katzel
Client: We Bleed Design
URL: http://www.webleeddesign.com/
Languages: CSS I think?

I came across this last night and I think it is beautiful! I'm not sure about if the technical side of it is perfect, that's not my niche as I'm a designer for print but from that perspective I think the design is cool and it made me smile!

LOVE the rainbow thing in the middle. Simple, but very effective. Can't believe I haven't seen that done before.

It's so cool isn't it, would love to know how it was done. It's similar to the Orange "Good things should never end" campaign I think?

Hi Victoria,

Great find, really like that site, and you can't help but scroll down all the way to the bottom! very clever use of images and CSS.

They have their main 'rainbow' image fixed to the top of the window, so when you scroll it moves with you and then the other images just layered above that with transparent areas so you see the rainbow graphic through them I think.

paint2.gif

For example this section has the white areas cut out, allowing the rainbow image to be seen through the transparent gaps, very simple but very effective!

play_mural.png

EDIT: Yes here is the CSS for that rainbow image, fixing it at the top of the screen...

Code:
body {www.webl...esign.com (line 17)background-attachment:fixed;background-image:url(IMG URL);background-position:50% 0;background-repeat:no-repeat;

Does anyone else now face that moral dilema...

Looking at that affect, knowing how simple and effective it is I just want to play with my own versions, my own designs - but should it come to making one of them live, i'd really hesitate knowing that it stems from someone else initiative.

Most of what we do, we share with designers all over the world, ideas, concepts and such like are what drives progression - but when I come across something really cool and unique, I get this big guilty feeling when wanting to take it and make it my own....

Is it just me??

Right this thread brought a technqiue I heard about about 6 months ago to the top of my mind.

Any way 10 mins of searching and I found a variation of it.

Pure CSS ~ Not sure who the original author was as I first saw it being used with a cloud background, on an actual design.

But to get it to work you have to resize your browser horizontally, even though vertically does work as well ~

Starry Night by CSS-Tricks

It is by far the best CSS trick I have ever seen.

I also came accross this one while I was looking for the other 1, scroll down to see the effect, again pure CSS ~

stu nicholls | CSS PLaY | background experiment with css

Jaz

flipping heck! this site is amazing!

made me laugh so much for the sheer amazing technical side of the site and the added extras like the sound effects!

this design is one of the best sites i've seen in ages!

Back