Software used for web layouts?

Photoshop & Illustrator here. :)

For some things I use Illustrator, and usually I import then into PS.
Still, there are times that I just stick to Illustrator and only do the slicing in Photoshop...

Coding happens in TextEditor, Dreamweaver 8 or Coda :)
Or any texteditor...

I've probably got a strange way of doing it.

I do all the relevant CSS, place it in blah blah, insert the basic layout, then go onto the graphics.

I use Photoshop and Fireworks. Fireworks is much easier with creating GIFs I find.

Hi all!
Fireworks CS4-user here.

I've always used PS for all kinda digital mockups but then I learned about Fireworks and its ways of handling GUI-elements - it's so fast and easy - and you can quickly try out different design ideas. But FW will never be as strong in image-editing as PS, so I mainly do all the general bitmaps in PS and afterwards paste them into FW.
So it's damn nice to finally end up in a forum with so many FWorkers ;-) Anyone using Mac and Fireworks?

I've only been fumbling with FW for a month so there are many tricks/basics I need to know more about... For instance: How do you people work with layer-masks?

Cheers,

/Henriko

I've used Photoshop, Illustrator, and Fireworks. As a designer and front-end developer I have found that I prefer Fireworks or Illustrator over Photoshop. Fireworks makes going from mock-up to a working website a breeze for me because of the superior Slice Tool and the slice export window. During this process I use CSS Edit and Coda or Textmate to write my code.

I didn't realize how good Fireworks was until I was forced to use it at work. If you really think about it, Photoshop is the worst Adobe program to layout content and information in because that's not what it's for, so why use it for web layouts?

I use both Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but it depends on the amount of content. If it's low content, I'll layout in Photoshop first then take it over to Dreamweaver. If there's a lot of content, I'll layout in Dreamweaver first, then Photoshop for the design.

I also use Photoshop...

I've dealt with prepping a few designs that had been done in Illustrator, and from what I worked with, it was always a bit more challenging.

With Photoshop supporting vector based objects, I don't really see the value in designing strictly in Illustrator. But, I could be slightly biased as I've only really ever used Photoshop to get the job done. That's not to say that I don't use Illustrator for some of the elements, but I always bring them into Photoshop afterward to work with.

Personally i my layout work is done in Photoshop, I must say Ive never used Fireworks so Im not sure how it compares but I dont think I could leave Photoshop :)

In my work I'm using PS for web layouts, Illustrator for brochures, business cards, logos etc + 3ds max for some screens also for some icons

Photoshop! Although I do use Illustrator for creating logo's..

I make a .psd and send it off to a coder who css's it for me :)

I use Photoshop, Fireworks, and Illustrator. Photoshop is the sex for mostly everything ( pixel perfect designs, more efficient slicing and web exporting ) When I was on my Fireworks fling I noticed that my designs wern't as polished or detailed because of how retarded making a website in a vector based program is...Fireworks does have some built in interactivity you can apply to designs for fast previews on functionality for clients but...it's a vector program...

Illustrator is cool if you're from a print background ( which I am not ) but has it's limitations.

Then again, just my opinion.

Fireworks is probably the most used application I own.

Photoshop is used to develop quality graphics and then I use fireworks to hang it all together. The reason I use it is down to its flexability and total ease of use. You can also export designs quickly to JPEG to send to the client.

Really understated software!

Back