• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Software used for web layouts?

Greg

I've always used Photoshop to design my website layouts and graphic elements of a site design, from there I would slice and code, but I know from my experiences with my previous employer some designer prefer to use Illustrator for layouts, and I've even heard of InDesign being used for this purpose :confused:

What do you guys use? Does anyone here use Illustrator?
Greg

Illustrator is my choice, but Photoshop would work well too. I cannot imagine using Indesign though, that would feel very clunky to me.

Peter

Greg

Hi Peter,

I've found from my own experience that designers using Illustrator for web layouts have tended to come from a print design background, is this true of yourself? After getting your layout put together in AI would you then export to PSD and slice from Photoshop?

Thanks,
Greg

M

mrleesimpson

I used to use Illustrator because I didn't know alot about Photoshop, then as I slowly started to learn more I transfered over and now I can't imagine going back to Illy.

Fireworks all the way, using Illustrator and Dreamweaver as sideline helpers. I'm yet to be convinced by Photoshop's web design capabilities personally, much to my print designers' dismay :D

M

mrleesimpson

red tiger said:
Fireworks all the way, using Illustrator and Dreamweaver as sideline helpers.
I can't get away with Fireworks. I use it to quickly edit images but thats about it, when I've tried in the past do layout websites in it, it always seems to lack the functions I want.

Greg

red tiger said:
Fireworks all the way, using Illustrator and Dreamweaver as sideline helpers. I'm yet to be convinced by Photoshop's web design capabilities personally, much to my print designers' dismay :D
Got to say I've never used Fireworks!
Do you mind me asking what you prefer about Fireworks over Photoshop?

Greg

Oh ok, so it's purely an experience thing! Just wondered if there were any features or particular working methods that you found easier in Fireworks over Photoshop for web design :)

I've had long discussions with my previous designers about the fireworks/photoshop argument, and showing them how quickly I can punch a shape and union it with something else, then create a faded gradient. I remember various FW/PS races in the office... lol.

Phil

I'll put a cat amongst the pigeons and say that I do all my design in Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 :) I've used it since version 5 and have always found it capable of doing everything I'd ever need Photoshop to do, but in a very much more user-friendly interface.

babrees

I mainly use Fireworks but also Corel PhotoPaint. Have been using Corel for donkey's years - I couldn't afford PhotoShop then. I have looked at PhotoShop, but software needs to be comfortable and I found it a bit tight!

Jill

Same as Grey really- everything goes through Photoshop, i then get the designs approved by the client (having shown them a jpg image) and the hand code as well as doing the occasionaly tweaks through Dreamweaver.

When i started out way back, i was using NetObject fusion- those were the days. My designs used to take around half an hour to load on a modem connection until i realised how to properly optimise images in jpg/gif format lmao.

I personally use Photoshop. I originally started off with Photoshop, and at a previous employer only had Fireworks, and was forced to learn it. I personally prefer Photoshop over any other program.

Once I finish my design in Photoshop, I slice it, and than use Textmate to do my html coding. Once I have finished my html coding, I use CSSEdit to do my CSS, with a live preview. That is how I do my designs.