Should you account for scrollbars?

Kevin

Should you nudge your entire site by 15 pixels or so to account for scrollbars?
I've never done it before because I guess you can never be sure who will see scrollbars and who won't.... Unless there is a nifty way of making it jump sideways if, and only if there is a scrollbar?

Actually, I think browsers should just implement it. If there is a scrollbar, nudge it to the right. It can't be difficult for their developers to add it, right?

it does nudge if I remember rightly

There are some scripts which can prevent the scroll bars

If there isn't a toolbar and then there is the central point of the usable area moves slightly due to the scrollbar taking up some room

ralphsaunders said:
surely it doesn't matter.... if your container is always centred...
It's exactly because it is centered. The browser centers it to the browser window, not to the "page area" ;)

@Levi, I don't see any browsers doing that :confused:
@Renniks, that's also a solution... I'll look into that

Wasn't sure how effective that was cross browser, and as I'm working didn't bother checking, but yeh that's what I use :)

Onartis said:
It's exactly because it is centered. The browser centers it to the browser window, not to the "page area" ;)

@Levi, I don't see any browsers doing that :confused:
@Renniks, that's also a solution... I'll look into that
strange as mine do seem to move it :s

It is one of those things that is down to how people set up their browsers - ie someone with a visual impairment is going to wack up the size on their browser - rendering most pages to have a scroll bar on the left. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Indeed, I had a funny one the other day with a designer friend - he asked my advice about a site he was working on - and explained that when he looked at one page - with a small amount of copy which easily fitted on one page, and then when he navigated to another page on the site with a lot more copy, 'the site shifts to the left and it is driving me mad'

Back