Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you account for scrollbars?

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by Kevin, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Should you nudge your entire site by 15 pixels or so to account for scrollbars?
    I've never done it before because I guess you can never be sure who will see scrollbars and who won't.... Unless there is a nifty way of making it jump sideways if, and only if there is a scrollbar?

Actually, I think browsers should just implement it. If there is a scrollbar, nudge it to the right. It can't be difficult for their developers to add it, right?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

it does nudge if I remember rightly

There are some scripts which can prevent the scroll bars

3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

You can just force there always to be the scroll bar...
    that way just designing for that

4. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

surely it doesn't matter.... if your container is always centred...

5. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

If there isn't a toolbar and then there is the central point of the usable area moves slightly due to the scrollbar taking up some room

6. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

It's exactly because it is centered. The browser centers it to the browser window, not to the "page area" ;)

@Levi, I don't see any browsers doing that :confused:
    @Renniks, that's also a solution... I'll look into that

7. Harry

Harry Senior Member

html{height:101%;}

Job done.

8. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Wasn't sure how effective that was cross browser, and as I'm working didn't bother checking, but yeh that's what I use :)

9. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

strange as mine do seem to move it :s

10. It is one of those things that is down to how people set up their browsers - ie someone with a visual impairment is going to wack up the size on their browser - rendering most pages to have a scroll bar on the left. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Indeed, I had a funny one the other day with a designer friend - he asked my advice about a site he was working on - and explained that when he looked at one page - with a small amount of copy which easily fitted on one page, and then when he navigated to another page on the site with a lot more copy, 'the site shifts to the left and it is driving me mad'