Setting up your tablet

Cieper

Hello,
I hava a Huion Kamvas 22 Pro. It has a stand at the back to set up higher and lower, but I'd rather lie it flat, since I am used to paper. I am thinking of unscrewing the stand, but I am unsure whether the tablet won't overheat. After all, it is a monitor! And it has ventilation grids at the sides but also on the back, which would be covered if I lie it on it's back.
Does anybody know about these things? There is very little people around who do, over here where I am. :unsure:
Thanks in advance!

The vents are there for a reason, covering them up probably isn't wise. If I cover up the vents beneath my laptop it struggles and performance declines as a result, you will probably have a similar issue.

Yes. But a digital drawing tablet isn't a laptop, it's a monitor with a touchscreen. I can understand how a laptop would overheat, I would never suggest to lay down my device if it was an actual computer!
What if I were to stick self-adhesive rubber feet at all four corners and put it on those? What do you think?

I really have nobody to ask about this over here where I am, there's no one who knows about these devices. Not even the retailers or the IT-guys. They do know about pc's and normal monitors; but one will never need to lie a normal monitor on its back, will one.

Yeah, I'm tempted to, but at the same time I'm afraid to. This was a very expensive device, I don't want to ruin it... I realize it's not going to explode right away. But it might deteriorate in time, or something like that :oops:

I'm a big fan of airflow. Covering vents that were definitely put there for a reason (it would be quicker and easier and cheaper not to bother, so unless air is required for the long-term well-being of the hardware, they wouldn't bother) is something I literally could not do.

Yeah
That's indeed the reason why I'm harassing you guys: I can see those grids and I figure they're there for a reason...
So I'm passing on to my second idea: how about I stick 4 rubber feet on the back ot the thing, just high enough for it not to sit on the table but hoovering over it?
I already searched for those, but most of the rubber caps I can find are too small.
Back to the drawing board, would be an appropriate expression in this case, no?

I'd suggest trying it out on the lowest stand setting for a while first. You might get used to it. Traditional drawing tables for pencil & paper were set at an angle as well back in the day.

If all else fails and you have to have it flat, rubber feet aren't the worst idea.

That's what I'm doing now. I can't really measure what degrees the lowest angle is; I seem to have displaces my protractor, but it's far from flat.
I own a table easel that I have used for decades already, but never for a long time. I am getting old and my arm gets tired easier, you see. I usually make my drawings flat on the table and then afterward stick it on the board of the easel to have an overview and correct a few things.
I'm holding on to my rubber feet idea then

Ah that makes sense. I can't work flat, all my characters end up stretched up vertically :ROFLMAO:

Ah, You mean like El Greco's characters! Or like that skull on the painting "the embassadors" by Holbein. I see. You probably were used to draw straight up, in Art school, weren't you?
I never went to art school. I started drawing in my crib, when I was 1 and a half. Everybody screamed and fainted around me when I put a pencil on paper, back then, there were even journalists coming so see me. Wunderkind, you know... it's fun, but it's a curse too. But nobody thought of sending me to art school, they thought I was born perfect (which I wasn't, of course).
But it made me draw from any angle: I remember drawing a character upside down from the crib, because my mom was standing in front of me watching, and I drew it upside down so she could see it the right way up. My mom thought that was amaaaaaaazing :D:oops: but to me it was nothing. But she kept telling his to everybody up until her death. Amaah-zing.

Now however, this eternally standing-up pen display that won't lie down is a drag to me. I'm thinking of a frame, to put it on; can you think of some material that is soft, but also firm? Something like rubber, or polyetylene foam (not polystyrene), that wouldn't scratch the back but would be strong enough to hold it? It's kind of a heavy beast...

No art school as such. Though I did study graphic design, and ended up relying on illustration more during the course. I've spent the last 10 years trying to learn everything I wish someone had been able to teach me 25 years ago! It's an ongoing process :ROFLMAO:
I drew on paper until my late 20s - if I was at home it was flat, if I was at work I used the drawing desk at a slight angle. Coloured in Photoshop with an old Wacom Graphire.
Think I was 29 when I got my first Cintiq screen tablet.

Now I like to angle it up HIGH. Not vertical but at least 45°. Allows me to draw with my whole arm more reliably and see the image as it is. Everyone's different though, I know some people who can't work like that, and some who can't work any other way.

I wouldn't mind drawing high if it wasn't so exhausting. On paper, all you need is one tool: either a pencil or a pen. On a tablet there are hundreds of tools, you keep going endlessly up and down with your arm, it's legit fitness! And a my age, one gets aches and pains from too much useless fitness. Save and New and Copy and Select and Paste and Undo and Smaller and Bigger and Up and Down and etcetera etcetera. Never does your arm get to take a break. o_O
So I'd rather have it flat on its back so I can rest my elbow on the table.

I just got back from the hardwarestore; I bought something called a 'rubber tile". It's black and it's got the exact right texture, hard but still flexible. It might be just right to make something to put underneath. I just have to cut it properly.
I'll be tinkering with it. Even if I mess it up, it was only 8 € (I don't know where you are, I'm in Belgium). So I can always buy a new one.

I hate Photoshop. Never got the hang of it, the books don't teach you anything usefull. I's too much about fiddling with photos and too little about art. I've purchased Clip Studio Paint, I love that. At least it's for art, not photofiddling!

Ah I use keyboard shortcuts for most of the tools/selections you described. Much easier. And as for learning more about using any program for illustration, YouTube is your friend.

Don't you need your keyboard for those shortcuts? That Huion of mine is so large, it takes up the whole desktop; there's no more space for the keyboard. It's shoved underneath the computer monitor stand.
And yes, one can find plenty useful things on YT

I use a keyboard, yeah. The biggest tablet I use is a Cintiq 24 Pro (I also use a 16HD sometimes), and my desk is 160cm wide x 80cm deep, so there's room for a keyboard. I do sometimes use a pretty small bluetooth keyboard instead of a full size one.

Logitech K380 is a great little tool for making the most out of smaller work areas. There are also small keypads you can use to assign certain functions to any button you like but I'm too used to keyboards to use them.

1714396256022.jpeg 1714396471054.png

I don't think I would get used to reach for a keyboard each time I want to save or do New or Undo or switch to an other pen or brush. That little think you're showing I saw on the Huion site. It looks like a calculator
By the way, I'm tinkering a frame to lay my Kamvas down. I searched for some material that would do, and ended up trying one of those black rubber tiles, the ones you use to make a backyard path. It's made of granules from recycled tires, caked together into a tile. It's the right material, you can cut through it and it's tough, but flexible. It won't scratch the back of my Kamvas. I've cut four parts to make a frame the same size of the device, with a rectangular hole in the middle for the "hunchback". It even has gaps at one side, that fit perfectly to let the cables pass through!
I'm experimenting now with glue, to find the right one.
I got response from Huion Support, btw, they said it wouldn't do any harm at all to leave a Kamvas flat. So now I'm at ease about that.
If my fidgeting works out, I'll send them a photo, so they can send it to the designers in China

Back