Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruby on Rails

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by chrismitchell, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Anyone played with it? Is it worth learning?

I'm just looking at some tutorials.. looks very crazy stuff :)
  2. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

I've heard of it before but never really looked into it. Is it a Website Development type of Language?
  3. Yeah its what they used to make Twitter if that helps :) just thought I would see if anyone has played with it.. fancied having a looksee to broaden my horizons a little :D
  4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Our programmer at the office knows Ruby on Rails... I've always been under the impression that it's really difficult :p
  5. ahhh ok ... could you pick his brains about it Kev? Ask him if there are any Ruby specific programs or does he just use Notepad sort of thing :)
  6. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Our programmer is a she *cough*
    And I'm not sure when I'll be back at the office with school starting again. I only work there part-time, being 16 and all that (almost 17 yay), you see? :)
  7. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I know a programmer that uses it, hes amazing and err... does some interesting things with it.
  8. LOL nice save Brendan :) can you ask him if you need a specific program? Or can it all be done in your basic text editor sorta thing :)
  9. br3n

br3n Senior Member

From the horses mouth:

Carl says:
    just need a normal texteditor, I recommend E for windows, textmate for mac, or smultron for mac if you arent a pirate
    But to actually run the code you need to install ruby on rails, at Ruby on Rails , on that page there is also a good turorial screencast named "Creating a weblog in 15 minutes with Rails 2", watch it and see if it is something for you
  10. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I'm a Pirate. To be honest I had never even heard of Smultron until last week :rolleyes:
  11. Cheers for that Brendan :) I thought that was the case :) cheers for letting me know matey :)

Smultron is an awesome free bit of software in my opinion :)