Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roughly Speaking: Character Design Sketching Approaches

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by scotty, Apr 15, 2010.

1. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

If you ever wanted to see the sketch process behind a character vector illustration there is an article over on VectorTutsPlus that shows just that.

There are a number of vector artists that have given their sketches and the final artwork along with some info about their working practices and the stuff they use before working them up in Illustrator and yours truly is amongst them.

This is the sketch I worked from when I made the “Monkey King” character and you’ll see it’s pretty rough and rather than having a desk hogging scanner to import the sketch I just use a digital camera hence the quality.

You can check out the article here.

2. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Wow that's lurrrrvely! :up:

I can't believe such loose sketches can turn into beautiful vectors. I would like to see the later stages in more detail!
  3. really fantastic bit of work there scotty.. would make an amazing desktop wallpaper :D
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Great link...there's some cracking work there. Thanks scotty man.
  5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

6. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Thank you:)

VectorTuts+ I find is a great site for learning and inspiration.

Funny you should mention the desktop wallpaper as there's a 1920x1200 version and an iPhone version here.

I stumbled on Chris Abbott's site quite recently and he does great work.
    I specially like his T's.
  7. now thats a funky desktop wallpaper Scotty :D thats going on the exchange server right now :lol:
  8. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris:)
  9. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

REALLY nice artwork scotty. But, where are the dragonballs? :p
  10. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I knew I'd missed something @_@
  11. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

The gradients on the stick seem very out of touch with the rest of the piece. Other than that it looks great :)
  12. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Picky's brill.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I'm just saying :rolleyes:
  14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Onartis, there's gradients on the headband, the earrings, the belt buckle, and the hilltops too.
  15. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Yes, and apart from the headband (and of course the stick), I think all that other stuff looks fine :rolleyes:
  16. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Thanks Onartis.................... I think:)
  17. garage

garage Junior Member

WOW Great artwork....
  18. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Thank you:)
  19. Jeg

Jeg Member

I like it, have it set as my laptop wallpaper, a nice change for me, as I usually use a minimalistic background. =]