Roughly Speaking: Character Design Sketching Approaches

scotty

Ultimate Member
If you ever wanted to see the sketch process behind a character vector illustration there is an article over on VectorTutsPlus that shows just that.

There are a number of vector artists that have given their sketches and the final artwork along with some info about their working practices and the stuff they use before working them up in Illustrator and yours truly is amongst them.

This is the sketch I worked from when I made the “Monkey King” character and you’ll see it’s pretty rough and rather than having a desk hogging scanner to import the sketch I just use a digital camera hence the quality.

You can check out the article here.

jackson-01.jpg

jackson-02.jpg

Wow that's lurrrrvely! :up:

I can't believe such loose sketches can turn into beautiful vectors. I would like to see the later stages in more detail!

really fantastic bit of work there scotty.. would make an amazing desktop wallpaper :D

Thank you:)

VectorTuts+ I find is a great site for learning and inspiration.

Funny you should mention the desktop wallpaper as there's a 1920x1200 version and an iPhone version here.

I stumbled on Chris Abbott's site quite recently and he does great work.
I specially like his T's.

now thats a funky desktop wallpaper Scotty :D thats going on the exchange server right now :lol:

The gradients on the stick seem very out of touch with the rest of the piece. Other than that it looks great :)

Onartis, there's gradients on the headband, the earrings, the belt buckle, and the hilltops too.

Yes, and apart from the headband (and of course the stick), I think all that other stuff looks fine :rolleyes:

I like it, have it set as my laptop wallpaper, a nice change for me, as I usually use a minimalistic background. =]

Back