QR Codes

you change the colour or you're using tag lol. QR codes work literally by contrast, the dark bits are read by the reader

ok... qr codes are made up of a 'black' and a 'white'. For best results you need to have a clear contrast between the 2 colours.
There's some heavily patterned ones in another thread on the forum and they don't read well on the apps I have at around 2inch x 2inch size yet I can happily scan 10mm square black and white ones. You can change the black to another colour but you need to keep the contrast so doing say blue and yellow wouldn't really work well but blue and white should work well for example. My personal opinion (and experience with qr codes - use them quite a bit on android :)) is keep as close to black and white as possible for the most uniformed scanning experience...

Levi said:
ok... qr codes are made up of a 'black' and a 'white'. For best results you need to have a clear contrast between the 2 colours.
Fair enough. I've seen coloured ones...so how would they work?

As Levi mentioned, you can use coloured QR codes, but you need to ensure that there is sufficient contrast between the two colours. So, using blue and magenta, probably wouldn't work too well. I imagine that if you were to use a light tint with a dark shade, i.e. very light blue and very dark red, then it should be close to the contrast of black and white and work well enough for QR codes. I'm not an expert on any of this, that's just my understanding of it, feel free to correct me Levi!

you're pretty much spot on squiddy, basically qr codes work very similar to the ones you see on food etc, it's just more complex (stores more) and in a square so the reader needs to be able to clearly read it. If it isn't clear you get the failed to scan like at a checkout in a shop.
What I'd suggest is if you're doing any qr codes is to download an app for your phone and then print out the 'pattern' you've coloured and see if it scans at different sizes.

Back