Pricing guide for different sizes

Green & Co

Hi, so I'm relatively new to the printing business and made a loss last year due to incorrectly pricing my products.

My main issue is banners and vinyl stickers. Say for example i sell a banner at 2ft x 4ft but a customer wants 2ft x 3ft how do i price the difference for the extra 1 ft? and say the next customer wants 2ft x 5ft. Is there a simple way to calculate the extra ft. Its very time consuming trying to figure it out and then i just randomly add a couple of pound and im losing moeny. I'm not explaining this very good im aware but I hope someone understands and can give me a method or calculation to help me.

Thanks in advance T.

Just work out some set prices you are happy with for standard/popular sizes.

For all our A sizes we have set prices already worked out, if a customer wants something different, for example 190mm x 230mm, we would charge them the next standard size up which would be A4.

Hi, so I'm relatively new to the printing business and made a loss last year due to incorrectly pricing my products.

My main issue is banners and vinyl stickers. Say for example i sell a banner at 2ft x 4ft but a customer wants 2ft x 3ft how do i price the difference for the extra 1 ft? and say the next customer wants 2ft x 5ft. Is there a simple way to calculate the extra ft. Its very time consuming trying to figure it out and then i just randomly add a couple of pound and im losing moeny. I'm not explaining this very good im aware but I hope someone understands and can give me a method or calculation to help me.

Thanks in advance T.
Hi. I'd sugest to check the prices available at the market, i.e. to monitor your competitors. I mean your direct competitors to which your customer may apply. So, you can see their priceing calc approach: if it depends on the size proportionally or it's based on the order volume or the alike. E.g. on other factors affecting price. Just think who are 5-10 of your competitors (agancies or individuals) and check what are their prices. Think, what you can do/offer better... I'm sure you can find your unique advanteges and get improved your prices.

Surely, like any other business, you simply calculate your direct costs, overheads, depreciation and then add your required profit margin. Looking at what competitors charge will give you a ballpark, but if, for whatever reason (volume, overheads, etc), their costs are lower than you can achieve, then charging the same price is going to produce a loss for you.

If I am being honest, the question itself seems a little surprisingly naive for someone already open for business. If you are running a serious business, these are the early-stage calculations you should have done before even opening your doors. I think you need to go back to the drawing board and do some basic calculations. As you have already been open a year, you have the advantage of knowing exactly what all your overheads are.

Are you actually printing, ie, have your own premises, presses, etc, or are you effectively brokering and passing the print on to a supplier? Either way, you should know exactly what your costs to produce are (these have to, of course include any wages, including your own) and then what your profit margins should be to allow for investment and growth.

Good luck.

The simplest way is to calculate the prices pro-rata. Eg. if your price for 2ft x 4ft is say £100, to work out 2ft x 3ft, divide the £100 by 4 then multiply by 3 = £75. Similarly to work out 2ft x 5ft, divide £100 by 4 then multiply by 5 = £125. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Back