Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power mac

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by charles, Oct 31, 2009.

1. charles

charles Senior Member

I was bored so looking on ebay at power macs. they seem cheap for how good they look....

I was wondering does anyone have or has used the 1.8ghz single processor model as was looking at one for home as only £200

Will they keep up with today's software...

Not sure if its comparable to pc in anyway...

2. tim

tim Senior Member

**** that. buy a mac mini.

really powerful, really coo.
  3. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

my G5 at home is a 1.8ghz (single processor) 1.5gb ram running cs3. Does a great job for any web work, photoshop, code etc... indesign can be a bit sluggish depending on how big the job is but more ram would sort that out.

If you need a starting point that would do a decent job and extra ram wouldn't cost much (I've just not got round to it, don't do much print work...) so if you need an affordable solution for now I would say its a good one
  4. charles

charles Senior Member

LOL nein danke

Not cool
  5. tim

tim Senior Member

mac minis are awesome!
  6. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

Hmm, yes and no really. CS4 runs ok most of time but it can struggle a bit with some jobs. If you'll be keeping this machine for a while you'll need to consider if you'll be wanting to upgrade your software in the future as I've heard CS5 is being developed for Intel Macs only.

For £200 though it's not a bad place to start.
  7. pixelfinity

pixelfinity Junior Member

Buy the G5 Powermac and stick in the best video card you can afford...

The mac mini is a great little machine - the intel processors scream, however, for photoshop or 3D work, a video card rather than a video chipset is always better.

If your budget is 200 then brilliant, however if you have a little more to spend, look for an intel iMac on ebay.

post back if you need help again.
  8. charles

charles Senior Member

thnx all, I don't really need one of these tbh it's just for fun so don't want to spend more than £200 if i was getting it now. I may wait til next month or more likely bonus time in april and buy a mac book pro 13" and "24 cinema display - though bit of a waste as it will barely get used at home.