power mac

charles

I was bored so looking on ebay at power macs. they seem cheap for how good they look....

I was wondering does anyone have or has used the 1.8ghz single processor model as was looking at one for home as only £200

Will they keep up with today's software...

Not sure if its comparable to pc in anyway...

M9454LLA-PB-R-2.jpg

my G5 at home is a 1.8ghz (single processor) 1.5gb ram running cs3. Does a great job for any web work, photoshop, code etc... indesign can be a bit sluggish depending on how big the job is but more ram would sort that out.

If you need a starting point that would do a decent job and extra ram wouldn't cost much (I've just not got round to it, don't do much print work...) so if you need an affordable solution for now I would say its a good one

charles said:
Will they keep up with today's software...

Hmm, yes and no really. CS4 runs ok most of time but it can struggle a bit with some jobs. If you'll be keeping this machine for a while you'll need to consider if you'll be wanting to upgrade your software in the future as I've heard CS5 is being developed for Intel Macs only.

For £200 though it's not a bad place to start.

Buy the G5 Powermac and stick in the best video card you can afford...

The mac mini is a great little machine - the intel processors scream, however, for photoshop or 3D work, a video card rather than a video chipset is always better.

If your budget is 200 then brilliant, however if you have a little more to spend, look for an intel iMac on ebay.

post back if you need help again.

thnx all, I don't really need one of these tbh it's just for fun so don't want to spend more than £200 if i was getting it now. I may wait til next month or more likely bonus time in april and buy a mac book pro 13" and "24 cinema display - though bit of a waste as it will barely get used at home.

Back