Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portfolio advice

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by starshaped77, Nov 2, 2009.

1. starshaped77

starshaped77 New Member

Hi there,

I have my first job interview after being made redundant a few months ago so I'm sorting out my portfolio - after what feels like an age of trying to decide what to put in it I wondered if I could ask your advice. What would you recommend the maximum amount of pieces I should be showing? Obviously I want to show them as much as I can but how much is too much? The role covers designing both small format and large format stuff which I have quite a few examples of both. Please help!!!!

2. think the unwritten rule is 8 pieces - now its the game of 'which 8ight!!'
  3. starshaped77

starshaped77 New Member

Thanks Ozwaldo! :) I've got a good idea of the bits I do want to include that covers the range of formats but it is more than eight..... Time to narrow it down a bit more.

4. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Start and finish with your strongest pieces. show a variety of styles and skills bt make sure theyre relavent. Good luck.
  5. would double up on big Dave's comments. Start with a 'wow that's impressive/cool/awesome' piece then six 'aren't i brilliant' bits and finish with a 'corr blimy gov'nor you's the pooches' best bit ever.

or something like that…
  6. gdhta

gdhta New Member

I would go for quality not quantity all the way, about 10-12 projects as people do not want to be there all day, that will give them a good idea of your capabilities. I also agree with big Dave's in the fact that you should have a strong piece at the start and finish.

If you can have physical examples of your work as well as the images in you folio, for example a book or brochure you have had printed for a client that i will bring the project to life and backs up your folio.

You could take a laptop to display web work s it always looks better on screen as that is how is meant to be viewed.

If you can leave something with the interviewer once you have left, maybe a mini version of your folio in a booklet or something like that, it's always a good reminder for them.

The main thing at the end of the day is the actual presentation of your folio, make sure you have a good clean, slick finish to it, you are a graphic designer after all!
  7. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I used to leave a disc that contained interactive portfolio.
  8. dot design

dot design Member

I'd go along with 8 as well, also make sure that you have something to say about each project, eg: what the brief was, reasons you have designed it the way you have.

Nothing worse than uncomfortable silences as you turn the pages of your portfolio! :)

Good luck with it all!