Portfolio advice

starshaped77

Hi there,

I have my first job interview after being made redundant a few months ago so I'm sorting out my portfolio - after what feels like an age of trying to decide what to put in it I wondered if I could ask your advice. What would you recommend the maximum amount of pieces I should be showing? Obviously I want to show them as much as I can but how much is too much? The role covers designing both small format and large format stuff which I have quite a few examples of both. Please help!!!!

JD

Thanks Ozwaldo! :) I've got a good idea of the bits I do want to include that covers the range of formats but it is more than eight..... Time to narrow it down a bit more.

JD

Start and finish with your strongest pieces. show a variety of styles and skills bt make sure theyre relavent. Good luck.

would double up on big Dave's comments. Start with a 'wow that's impressive/cool/awesome' piece then six 'aren't i brilliant' bits and finish with a 'corr blimy gov'nor you's the pooches' best bit ever.

or something like that…

I would go for quality not quantity all the way, about 10-12 projects as people do not want to be there all day, that will give them a good idea of your capabilities. I also agree with big Dave's in the fact that you should have a strong piece at the start and finish.

If you can have physical examples of your work as well as the images in you folio, for example a book or brochure you have had printed for a client that i will bring the project to life and backs up your folio.

You could take a laptop to display web work s it always looks better on screen as that is how is meant to be viewed.

If you can leave something with the interviewer once you have left, maybe a mini version of your folio in a booklet or something like that, it's always a good reminder for them.

The main thing at the end of the day is the actual presentation of your folio, make sure you have a good clean, slick finish to it, you are a graphic designer after all!

If you can leave something with the interviewer once you have left, maybe a mini version of your folio in a booklet or something like that, it's always a good reminder for them.

I used to leave a disc that contained interactive portfolio.

I'd go along with 8 as well, also make sure that you have something to say about each project, eg: what the brief was, reasons you have designed it the way you have.

Nothing worse than uncomfortable silences as you turn the pages of your portfolio! :)

Good luck with it all!

Back