Please critique my model train website

madphi

Last year I started a website for comparing model train prices across a lot of shops from all over the world. People in the model train world seems quite enthusiastic about my site, but at the same time, my friend keeps saying the site looks horrible o_O

I'm much better at programming than UI, so I would love to hear what you think about the site and how it can be improved?

The site is Model Prices, https://www.modelprices.com/

Thanks a lot for your help (y)

Yeah, it's a bit boring and old-fashioned. You only have to look at a few of your site links to see what others have done. For starters, you don't have a logo, it just looks like a title at the top.
It would be quite simple to do something like a train sign at least, like The Island Railway Shop have done for instance. Most of them have more up to date and modern templates.

Thanks a lot for taking a look - and good point about the logo. That should be a quick fix vs. redesigning the whole UI :)

Seems like almost all UK model train shops use a train sign as a logo. My site is targeting a global audience, so guess I should go for something different/a bit more unique.

It doesn't have to look like a sign, just something vintage or retro, a couple of rules, dots at the end, Gill sans etc. Just google vintage logo design, but keep it simple.

Your site has great potential, but I agree with your friend that the UI could be improved. Here are a few things that I think would make the site look and feel more polished:

• Use a more modern font. The current font is a bit dated and doesn't match the site's overall style. I recommend using a sans-serif font, such as Roboto or Open Sans.

• Use a more consistent color scheme. The current color scheme is a bit all over the place. I would recommend choosing a few main colors and using them throughout the site. This would help to create a more cohesive and professional look.

• Add some more images. The site could use more images to break up the text and make it more visually appealing. You could add images of the model trains that you're comparing, or you could add images of people using your site.

Your site has great potential, but I agree with your friend that the UI could be improved. Here are a few things that I think would make the site look and feel more polished:

• Use a more modern font. The current font is a bit dated and doesn't match the site's overall style. I recommend using a sans-serif font, such as Roboto or Open Sans.

• Use a more consistent color scheme. The current color scheme is a bit all over the place. I would recommend choosing a few main colors and using them throughout the site. This would help to create a more cohesive and professional look.

• Add some more images. The site could use more images to break up the text and make it more visually appealing. You could add images of the model trains that you're comparing, or you could add images of people using your site.
That's some great feedback! Thanks a lot. Will look into fixing those things when I'm back home (y)

Back