New Website

Bill

Hi guys, some of you may have been familiar with our old website, but we decided to scrap it and go for a minimalistic look.

As of now we've just got a simple website on Big Cartel - Simple shopping cart for artists, designers, bands, record labels, jewelry, crafters , until we get some more sales. (as we're a group of freelancers we don't get much of a turnover between us)
We'll be upgrading to a domain with paid features over time and I'll keep you updated.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

The link is in my signature at the minute, and incase the link changes this one will be permanent, so click!

Thanks for reading, Bill.

For a group of professional designers I think it looks poor (sorry) and why so small? Only advice would be to start again, look at your competitors and other sites for inspiration.

No need to apologise! This is what we want, some CnC. We just wanted something very basic for now. The only reason it's so small is because the website it's hosted on has only one theme in the free package they provide, as we can't afford to buy the ability to use a custom theme.

Thanks anyway though. :)

Hi Bill,

Not a comment on the website as such, but I think that selling design services in the way that you are, isn't the best of ideas.

How do you know that one business card design might not take 4 days while the other takes a month? Wouldn't it be best for people to contact you individually and then price it up per job?

Haha it was for dramatic effect. But you get the jist, somebody might make 50 changes to their £30 business card, then, you've spent a month, and, your profit margin is gone.

If I'm honest I'm not keen on it at all. As Boss says, considering you're a bunch of designers, there isn't much design to it. The dark grey logo on the light grey background just clash in a horrible way, and that coloured, scratchy banner looks totally out of place. It's the only colour on the page and is all I seem to be looking at. The size of the design is just too small. Take Boss' advice and have a look at some big agency websites that you like, and take inspiration form those.

Surely you must have some control on the design to change images etc... The colour is very drab and I think you need to expand your shopping cart.
Charging the same price for a letterhead and advertisements is very vague and you might find yourself working a lot of man hours for a very small return per hour.
Perhaps it would be better to quote for jobs individually as each one is bound to have different requirements

I like it - minimal om the home page but stuff gets interesting when you click onto it. - presumably this is your work: Boompa — Home - nice and creative. The home page kind of hints at what's there and makes you have a look.

Does need to be wider though.

I like it - minimal om the home page but stuff gets interesting when you click onto it. - presumably this is your work: Boompa — Home - nice and creative. The home page kind of hints at what's there and makes you have a look.

Does need to be wider though.

You clicked the wrong link by the looks of it since the first link was the homepage of bigcartel (the platform) although an easy mistake to make. That link is a nice website but the actual website on crit is the 2nd link hidden away on the original post.

I agree with everyone else that it doesn't suit its purpose at all for me and I don't really know what to make of it. There are no examples of previous work and I think selling off the shelf packages for (what I would assume as) a bespoke and original service is the wrong approach. How can you expect to sell business cards but then show no examples of the quality and design of the business cards you make? Same goes for the other services. Going back to the fixed price approach - as people mention, you could spend 5 hours or 50 hours on a logo, yet if you're charging a fixed price you're in trouble which is why a fixed price structure is not really going to work as every client and every job requirement is going to be different from the last.

Back