New Website

Tom Sound

Hi Folks,

this is my first stab at a site using Dreamweaver and attempting to use css to a certain extent. I worked out that dreamweaver is a 'what you see is not really what you get editor' [WYSINRWYG] or is that just me?

Please let me know what you think so far....

custom artwork for the home from massive canvas

Also, I would further like your opinions on the use of a horizontal scrolling gallery page (in thought process at the mo). I've read a fair amount regarding these online over the weekend and there seems to be a split opinion on the best way to set one up. One site suggested the use of a table is the way forward.

Are they accepted as a useable interface or a pain in the..

Thanks

Tom :D

If your presenting tabular data then a table is fine, other wises use an appropriate tag for the job required.

lists - ul / dl
generic containers - divs

blah blah :)

Thanks Geoff, I'll ignore the table idea then.

Anyone got any opinions on horizontal scrolling image sites? Or thoughts on what I've done so far?

thanks very much

Tom

dreamweaver is good for coding but rubbish for design. The design interface really needs a complete overhaul................Adobe seems to upgrade their software by changing the skins only.

h_freezy said:
dreamweaver is good for coding but rubbish for design. The design interface really needs a complete overhaul................Adobe seems to upgrade their software by changing the skins only.

I'll agree on that, I cannot get to grips with dreamweaver for some daft reason but I was able to get along with golive quite happily, I have the view that golive is more design orientated which better suits my level of html etc :)

golive does have that kind of interface, unfortunately its now being discontinued :(

h_freezy said:

To be fair on adobe they havent had dreamweaver long, blame macromedia.

Adobe have had dreamweaver for 4 years, thats plenty of time to combine or give the option of using a more design orientated interface, especially considering they already had golive as a basis.

The one problem I find with Adobe Dreamweacver is that it never displays the designs properly in design view, they are always fine looking in all Browsers but display terribly in Dreamweaver. I dont know if they have fixed this on CS4 as I have never used it. Any one know?

glenwheeler said:
The one problem I find with Adobe Dreamweacver is that it never displays the designs properly in design view, they are always fine looking in all Browsers but display terribly in Dreamweaver. I dont know if they have fixed this on CS4 as I have never used it. Any one know?

Doesn't seem to be fixed in my copy, although that could be down to my abysmal coding skills :)

I just had a look, i quite like the layout of the site so far, and not sure on whether a horizontal gallery would fit in with the current interface.

Aside from that, I don't mind them if they are done well. There was a brilliant one I saw last week, but I stupidly didnt bookmark it.

If the whole site is going to scroll then that is fine, but if you are going to have a random scrolling div in the middle of the interface I doubt that will look too good.

One of the guys I went to uni with has a horizontally scrolling site, is that the kind of thing you were thinking of for the gallery?

Thanks for taking the time to look Iain :D

I've set up a horizontal page, yes, like the link you posted, although on reflection I think I've made it to deep a page, not in a profound way. Looking at it this morning I've had the realisation that I need to move some stuff onto another section of the site altogether.

Anyone have any thought on the navigation of a horizontal page? Should I just leave the browser scrollbars to handle it or use a mouseover/scroll to anchor command? It's only 8000px wide.

Omg, no, definitely don't leave it up to the scrollbars. Use anchors, combined with a scrolling effect (without the scrolling effect, there really isn't a point in having a horizontal site). 8000px is more than enough, look at it this way: for a lot of people, 8000px is almost 8 times the width of their screen.

OK Cool, I will look into this further tonight, thanks. I see what you're saying about the width. What would be the max height restriction?

Hard to say... you just need to make sure all the content (text!) fits within about 650-700 pixels, although that should work out without any trouble. Background graphics can go over 1000px, just make sure you don't get vertical scrollbars (background-images or overflow hidden). Also, when using large graphic images, make sure that they don't suddenly cut off, even when they go off screen a fair bit.

OK so I did a bit more work on this last night. Basically what I've ended up with is a div 8000px wide with a single image placed into the div, split into 4 sections. Below this is another one with an image with some text and arrows for the scrolling aspect. I sussed out linking to anchors to scroll, which was pretty straightforward but...

I got really confused after that point.

If I am putting arrows across the width of the page and having anchor points at equal positions across the page. What width should I place the anchors and arrows, as obviously on my 20" monitor it's completely different to another monitor. I set it all up, clicked the first arrow and scrolled to my anchor point marking the second image section. But the arrows still visible on my screen pointed to the same anchor. not the third anchor so nothing moved as I was already there :D

Does any of that make sense or am I sounding like a complete anchor?

Should I have arrows pointing both ways or just right facing arrows and one left one to return to the start, at the end?

Is it just a simple script I need to add to make this all happen smoothly?

I did a site like this when I was back at Uni for a project, think it's still on my site at:
NetJets

Not sure if that will help at all? Probably not as coding wise it's a mess, was just a mock-up for the project. Will see if I can find the links for various bits of script I used though

Greg said:
I did a site like this when I was back at Uni for a project, think it's still on my site at:
NetJets

Not sure if that will help at all? Probably not as coding wise it's a mess, was just a mock-up for the project. Will see if I can find the links for various bits of script I used though

Thanks Greg, exactly that but what happens if they have a small screen and the arrows don't fit on the first page. That is a big help as I'm closer than I thought looking at that I think.

When I get home I'll upload it so you can see where I'm at and laugh at how many arrows I've used which is my main problem I think. :D

There was a script I used that converts the scrolling wheel on your mouse to move the page left t right rather than up to down, think that would help as a start.

You could use fixed arrows at the top or bottom of the page to get around the resolution size issue? Like they have done on this site - The Horizontal Way - an horizontal showcase for horizontal scrolling websites, by Marco Rosella

Some more useful links with ideas/inspiration:
19 Horizontal Scrolling Websites - CssLeak | CSS Gallery, Showcase of beautiful Web Design
27 Inspirational Horizontal Scrolling Websites|Dzine Blog

Look forward to seeing your site later

Back