Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needs more 'dog'

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by Paul Murray, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Working on a quick logo idea for a friend's dog walking business, titled 'Smug Dogs'. I think it needs more 'dogginess' to it but I'm not sure. I know it's a dog, but I don't want it to have to rely on text to make sense.

needs-more-dog.png

2. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Yes, it's nice, but not quite there?

It might help if the other eye is showing. A hint of a tongue sticking out?
    Floppy ears would probably make it too big. Maybe a highlight on the nose?

Second thoughts, I had a play with it and it's best as it is!

3. Paul Murray

All the same things I've tried. Keep coming back to the issue of there being too much going on. I like the idea of the wet nose though, might give that a shot, cheers.

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I had a quick play and I think adding nostrils will actually make it seem more dog like. I'd also maybe widen the 'moustache' a little and maybe move the monocle down a little.

edit: you might also want to 'curve' the straight edges of the nose, a bit like how a squircle is done, dog noses are very rarely that straight.

5. Paul Murray

Played around with the nose, I think you'r right about the shape. A rounder nose seems to give the face more character. I'm leaning towards 2, possibly 3.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 14.58.30.png

6. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

3 for me. Nose could even go slightly more shaped.

7. Paul Murray

The little detail on 3. actually makes the nose more distinct at smaller sizes.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 16.41.47.png

8. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

That's the one.