Need help recreating an effect on a typeface

FCB

Hello forum!

Hopefully some one can help me in the right direction. I want to recreate a type effect
for a coffee company and I was wondering how anyone here would go about doing this,

coffee stain font.jpg

It looks like a helvetica font but how do I begin adding the coffee stain effect?

Any advice would be much appreciated :icon_smile:

There are 101 ways of creating this, but one way would be to set the word in the typeface of your choice either in Photoshop or drag it there.
Then using layer effects and tools, roughen the outline, blur it, add splats using paintbrush and 'roughen' it generally.
Then create a graduated, splotchy background, similar to parchment and create a clipping mask to effectively mask the background inside your lettering. Duplicate a non masked version of the text and overlay that.

Do all of this in greyscale and then add a colour/hue layer over the top to allow you to tweak the colour accordingly.

This is a very simplistic guide, but lots of Photoshop effects/layers will create something similar.

Or there may even be a font out there that has similar distressed feel which only leaves you to colour it.

Reactions: FCB
You could also try doing it for real, using real paper and coffee? You'll be guaranteed a unique, authentic look, plus you can tweak it digitally afterwards.

You could also try doing it for real, using real paper and coffee? You'll be guaranteed a unique, authentic look, plus you can tweak it digitally afterwards.

i done that for an old job came out rather well if i say so :)
100typefaces.jpg

Thanks for the additional posts :)

I needed to recreate the type effect nearly exactly to additional pages to a document. They asked me instead of getting the original design agency to do it. Luckily the original files had the different layers of vectored coffee stains (so many random shapes stacked up!). Pretty simple outcome in the end thankfully :)

Back