Need help attracting new design clients

agreed.

also, punch my face in (metaphorically) if I'm wrong; but I think the site is too simplistic. Try and show what you can do but more obviously!

You see at the top of your page it says 'will doyle' says <good morning> or <good afternoon>. Now that in itself is good; but it's shown in a dark grey, so if you notice it (even at all), you may not be able to understand that it changes at specific times.

welcome to mark steel- web design, desktop publishing and theatre box office management
This is a pretty basic and crappy site one of my friends put together so apologies for that. They get 3 client every two months or round abouts, but it's improved dramatically improved all because they said they were impressed by some of the showcasing his site demonstrated. All he did was add 'access keys' and some of his clients said that he'd improved his coding skills.

Sorry if you're baffled by my idiocy or crappy paragraph writing skills, but i hope the main idea is there.

oh and apply to a few million small businesses if you're looking for work. I did that and a lot of them have shown interest. In particular hairdressers.

Will,

I would pretty much echo the comments above and say how important it is that you show as much of your 'good' work as possible.

Getting your personal site right can take an age and even the most seasoned freelancer stuggles with this, so I wouldn't beat yourself up about the amount of hits you're getting and how much of this is converting to work.

When you're a designer you've got to think outside the box. Get out and actively promote yourself and your skills rather than waiting for people to come to the website.

Also. In your keywords you have services listed that aren't then in your main body of text. You seem to cover a lot, are you sure you can offer all these services at a proffessional level?

I have changed the font colour of my welcome message

The thing is I don't no how to advertise my website..

Because I no that people arn't really going to find my website at the moment.

doyle369 said:
The thing is I don't no how to advertise my website.

Why are you trying to advertise your website? You aren't selling anything are you? It annoyes me when novice designers are trying to prove their worth with hundreds of hits on their website, what will that achieve?

Do you know something we don't?

You should be advertising your skills, which you aren't doing by not having any of your work on there. Take your self through the journey of someone visiting your site; if you were looking for a graphic designer you'd want to see some previous work before hiring them.

You wouldn't buy a car or a stereo without seeing it first would you?

When you get that right, take a good half day to read through some off the posts on Freelance Swtich. There are thousands of hints, tips and articles on how to promote you're skills and gain more work as a freelancer.

You've pretty much got the website down, you really need to think about showcasing your work.

What are your 10 best pieces of work?
What are the best skills you have?
Have you created anything you got high recognition for in college/university?
Have you won any competitions/contracts with any work?

Show off to your visitors your skills and talents!!

My website is the only website I have made

The otherday I made a homepage (a made up buisness) in photoshop.. I want to add this to my portfolio...

doyle369 said:
No wonder I aint getting any clients

Will Doyle | Freelance Web Design Devon

Will,
if your website is the only one you've done and you have no other... Do you really think anyone in their right mind will part with money and give you work?

You're fishing with a line and no hook.

Inexperienced novice 'designers' should concentrate and will have more chance of success if they build a portfolio of personal work rather than trying to rush headlong into being a competitive web builder and designer. Patience is they key. Learn, study and develop. Then clients will come...eventually.

I agree with that comment.

Your website is great, no denying that, but you won't get people investing in your services unless you have something (other than your own) to show for your previous success.

If you want to show the Photoshop example, screenshot it and put it in a creative backdrop or something...
www.timmp.co.uk/beta/portfolio.html

Will.

Are you a graduate? Because I really think that you're barking up the wrong tree with the hole thing.

You really need to try and speak with someone face to face who has a little know how of the industry, because the way your going about this is very mixed up. At the moment you're bumbling into an industry already packed with unemployed students and failing businesses with a bunch of half arsed efforts.

As Berry said do you really think a company would employ you with out any track record?

Before you go any further you need to cut your teeth like everyone else.

One suggestion. don't do the 'he wanted a smart but simple' heading.

create a fake site in photoshop that looks detailed.

If you can't put detail into a site that's supposed to be attracting your customers, you're not going to get too far.

yes...I should of..

But all I want in my portfolio for now is a screen shot.. Like I have at the moment..

What I have at the moment Is better then nothing..

Back