Need help attracting new design clients

doyle369 said:
What I have at the moment Is better then nothing..

Hi Will,

Aside from the issue of posting on another forum about Lee's portfolio website, I actually think you're doing more harm than good with your current portfolio image;

newportfolio.png

IMHO this doesn't match up to your site design, and I think shows a distinct lack of imagination for a photography site, even if it is just fictional! For one thing there isn't a single photograph!

Seeing this image on your portfolio page would actually put me off contacting you as I would start to question whether you actually designed your own site, as the difference between your own site and this design is vast.

Thanks,
Greg

Will,
I think the general consensus is that your showing half baked stuff that does more damage than good.
You only get one crack at things, clients do not return if there is no interest. Stop and plan what you want to show, why you want to show and who you want to show. Your starting point is wrong as Lee said. Think before you action. Research and study. Every piece of work or design feature on the site must be there for a reason. You can't buy an off the shelf portfolio of work or try to mimic it. You have to do it. That's the starting point. Do some great work....then build your site.

Greg said:
whether you actually designed your own site, as the difference between your own site and this design is vast.

If I'm not mistaken, in the forum previously stated, I think he stated his friend helped build it?

I have to totally agree with Berry; from the jist of your posts, you don't really seem to know how to build or design a website, let alone sell one.
I think you need to stick in with your college work, try out more tutorials, read design magazines, and best of all, listen to advice - it is invaluable.
Only that is the tip of the iceberg, it takes year's to have the experience and knowledge to produce worthwhile websites for customer's.
Hell I'm still learning something new every day!

Something new every week? It's every minute for me!

@will: The thing is, if you're not willing to reach out to clients, there's absolutely no way you're gonna get any of them. I totally agree with blueocto. Even your CSS is copyrighted to your friend. If you're looking for easy money, don't go into web design. You'll have a lot of hassle, it's not simple money.

Build your portfolio. When I go to a design site, I'm usually looking for their body of work to see what they've got to offer. With only two sites under your belt (one you made up and this portfolio site), that may be the main problem with attracting new design clients. You've gotta "pay your dues", as they told me when I was in school. I can see some glaring design flaws just in the one site you have up (with no link to see the full version). There's a lot of good advice for you in this thread regarding what you should do next. If I were you, I'd just take down what you currently have, retool your approach, and launch with a stronger product.

Back