Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor help please!

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Bmap, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Bmap

Bmap New Member

Hi all,

I did look for a hardware forum and did a search for "monitor" but didn't find much.

I'm coming from a Samsung 2343nw (tn panel) which was about £130 some years ago so it's definitely time to upgrade. Naturally I'm looking for an IPS 1440 panel at 27".

I'm liking this Asus Asus PA279Q 27-inch IPS Professional Monitor (2560 x 1440, Pre-Calibrated, Adobe Accurate): Electronics
    I like the fact it's precalibrated to ensure colour accuracy but it's a bit out my price range.

I'm also thinking about the Asus MG279Q which is also IPS, not calibrated but has a faster refresh rate which might be nice to have for the odd gaming session but it's not top of the priority list.

Another option is getting a cheaper monitor with a Spyder 5.

I really haven't got a lot of cash to waste and this is quite an investment that needs to be right and needs to last so I welcome any input you may have. I've spent ages looking at various screens and reviews but it's a minefield out there!

2. Bmap

Bmap New Member

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

what type of design work is it being used for?

Personally I'd just go straight with Dell....just not bought from them as it's usually cheaper elsewhere, I got mine from pcbuyit which came with 3 year warranty etc.

Also the hardware section is about 15 sections down, just under the apple bit.. I've moved the thread for you though :)
  4. Bmap

Bmap New Member

Thanks for the transfer ;)

Just standard graphic design stuff, website design, print, not so much photo retouching but pretty much everything else.

I had a quick look on pcbuyit but they seem relatively pricy and it's not easy to search by screen size/resolution. The dell I looked at only had 83% gamut too.

Ideally I'd like to get a good 'bang for my buck' something with good features that is well priced.
  5. Bmap

Bmap New Member

Quiet forum? Over 130 views :(

(Btw, I like the recent changes to the site)
  6. Bmap

Bmap New Member

Poor show GDF.

I've ordered something now and will take my chances
  7. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, with the forum upgrade a lot of the regulars have not been able to post this week, I've literally got it all working this evening.

What did you go for in the end? I have a DellUltrasharp U2713H (not the M version), 3 year panel warranty and no dead pixel guarantee, can't fault it although I've had it 12 months so not sure what is current.
  8. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words on the site change - as you can imagine it's been difficult for us all - especially Boss Hog (more so Boss Hog than anyone else).

We've all been caught up in the changeover; mods, regulars and lurkers.
    Stationery Direct likes this.
  9. Bmap

Bmap New Member

(quote function is very good)

I went for the AOC, many great reviews, good gamut after calibration, same panel as the asus etc, etc.

For once I made the right choice! In a previous life I was a music producer/engineer and when I upgraded my audio setup (at a cost of over £4k) everything actually got worse because of the lack of 'pretty presentation', bass was flatter etc and I was worried this would be the case with a more accurate monitor panel.

Fortunately I was wrong, it actually took me a while to realise how good the AOC was. The colours really pop to the point I might take it down a notch, blacks are a lot better whilst being brighter. Oh and the reds on my 2343nw were well off, I can see that now.

First thing I did was get a calibrated profile installed, setup the monitor as per the advice in the link above and that was it, good to go.

Unfortunately, I have my machine in another room (for noise) so none of the provided leads are long enough. It took me a while to coax my 270x to display 1440p over vga and I'm sure there'll be another small improvement when I get my 3m displayport cable delivered.

On the negative side, there is a bit of glow in the corners when viewed at less than about 3ft. Brightness uniformity could be a bit better but compared to overall brightness/contrast and the saturation and accuracy of colours I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

The long and short of it is, that Asus is over £600 and if I had paid that amount for this amount of improvement I would be happy, that fact I paid £289 delivered is great.
    Stationery Direct likes this.