Logo Sizes/Formats

Not saying PS isn't suitable for your business card design or some elements of print design, but yeah definitely best to getting used to using vector formats for logos, it will save you a lot of time & effort in the long run!! Plus if you're designing for clients it needs to be in appropriate formats they can go on & use in all applications their business may need ;)

h_freezy said:
now i get it. thats why the stupid printers who did my business card were moaning about my design and that i should have used illustrator

haha, yup... printers will laugh at you and hate you if you supply a business card as a raster file created in PS. imo, always use Illustrator for logos and lay everything out in InDesign... PS is just for image manipulation and the like.

ok i just can't get round Ai, its just not straight forward like PS but the quality and precision is far great. I can't even swap colours and do some crazy stuffs.

There's so much available in Illustrator, albeit different things and more limiting than PS, but there's many tools there.

That's one of the reasons I've struggled with it so far, gradually getting a grasp with thanks to Krey and tutorials on the web.

You're not the only one. I say im gradually getting a grasp, I still don't have a clue how brushes and that work :p

I'd usually put a love it or hate it stamp on illustrator (it is a long way from my fav program - should do some practice really), for someone who does a lot of CAD (my main work), the way that illustrator does some things just seems overly complicated. For example curves, in cad I can do a 3 point curve where you put end peices and then drag a third to make a curve, I haven't found a similar way in illustrator and it always seems to require you type in curvatures etc.
But then again, maybe I'm just doing it wrong :)

you can make it in PS and then open the PS file in Illustrator but some of the filters might not work if you have many of them and if you have low res images involved they will not be made better resolution from bringing them into Illustrator.

chrismitchell said:
you can make it in PS and then open the PS file in Illustrator but some of the filters might not work if you have many of them and if you have low res images involved they will not be made better resolution from bringing them into Illustrator.

what about 300dpi RES? i think that should work

well if its 300dpi it should be ok, but the clipping or any filters on that image might have problems...

I would just have a try and see if it looks ok..

if you do a 300dpi file, you can auto trace it, but there is not promises about the quality. it has worked for me though.

would you believe this

We Are As One - DMC - DMC World

was pencil, scanned, photoshop for clean up, then auto traced? so it can work.

mrp2049 said:
yes, i dont have a version of the artwork on my computer anymore

Sorry for going off topic, but great artwork Michael! And a brilliant result from a scanned/traced drawing!

Are you involved in Turntablism or with the DMC in any way? Or did you just do a T-shirt design for them?

Aarlev said:
Sorry for going off topic, but great artwork Michael! And a brilliant result from a scanned/traced drawing!

Are you involved in Turntablism or with the DMC in any way? Or did you just do a T-shirt design for them?

I used to be a regular DJ, I was well into my old school hiphop, digital underground, de la soul and the newer stuff of a similar style J5, Qtip (amplified is probably one of my favourite hiphop albums ever) when I was playing out. Used to make a respectable living as a rock DJ, and did "got on the decks" for fun. I still have my decks in my parents house, but they have be there for over 3 years, so I am seriously out of practice now!

That design was for a competition they ran, I'd done the vector drawings for something, but they had been rejected, and applied them to this design. They looked rubbish in clean vector form so traced them! I have spoke to the people at technics about doing more, they said they would get back in touch when they were doing the next seasons line, so fingers crossed. They liked it becuase it was only one colour aswell.

Defy Designs vs Michael Partridge: Technics Competition....

Defy Designs vs Michael Partridge: Drawing...

those are the links to some of the process on me blog!

Back