• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Logo Sizes/Formats


mrp2049

Senior Member
#2
big! you can always make it smaller.

depends if you are in a raster file or vector really.

rastor, 300dpi the bigger the better, but its always better to do them in vector as re-sizing isn't a problem.
 

Xenonsoft

Active Member
#4
What software do you use?

If you're using Illustrator it doesn't matter as you just zoom in and out and it doesn't lose any quality and when you're done you just resize to whatever you want.

If you're using photoshop (unadvised) then go pretty large, 1000x1000+.
 
#6
TomStuttDesign said:
i did one in inkscape (cant afford illustrator yet) but wasnt sure on what size to do it.
Inkscape is all vector, so as Xenonsoft also said it doens't matter. You can scale it to whatever size you want.
 
#8
h_freezy said:
so illustrator is better than PS. I need to ditch my love affair with PS and switch.
Illustrator is not better than Photoshop, it's just used for different things.

For image editing, retouching and photo manipulations, Photoshop is much better than Illustrator. And many people also use Photoshop for website mockups (myself included). But if you're creating a logo, modifying type, or doing vector illustrations, then Illustrator is ideal. They're just different tools for different purposes.
 

mrp2049

Senior Member
#9
totally! Illustrator is a different animal to photoshop!

I prefer photoshop for most things, but illustrator is soooooo important!
 

Xenonsoft

Active Member
#10
Aarlev said:
Illustrator is not better than Photoshop, it's just used for different things.

For image editing, retouching and photo manipulations, Photoshop is much better than Illustrator. And many people also use Photoshop for website mockups (myself included). But if you're creating a logo, modifying type, or doing vector illustrations, then Illustrator is ideal. They're just different tools for different purposes.
Exactly Aarlev :up:
 

h_freezy

Senior Member
#11
Xenonsoft said:
Exactly Aarlev :up:
yeah yeah, why can't PS be as good as illustrator in rendering vectors and all that stuff. Adobe are just jokers. Why not incorporate illustrator into PS. Also PS for websites also because i just don't like dreamweaver for no reason.
why not just one software called Ultimate PS for everything.........you dig?
 

Xenonsoft

Active Member
#12
I prefer it seperated personally. I'd rather have specialised tools for one thing in one place and other tools in a different place that do different bits.

It costs more but I prefer it.
 
#13
h_freezy said:
yeah yeah, why can't PS be as good as illustrator in rendering vectors and all that stuff. Adobe are just jokers. Why not incorporate illustrator into PS. Also PS for websites also because i just don't like dreamweaver for no reason.
why not just one software called Ultimate PS for everything.........you dig?
I think such an application would be too extensive. It would require a very large user interface, and imagine the amount of functions and menus you'd need, not to mention the size of the application itself. And some people like to specialise in Illustration for example, or Photo Retouching, so they wouldn't want a huge beast of a program like that.

CS3 and now CS4 are so integrated anyways that they're almost like one big application already.
 

ch3tzy

Senior Member
#14
^ more money different programs, but as Aarlev mentioned, I would hate to have all the menu's from illustrator in my photoshop.
 

br3n

Senior Member
#15
The clue is in the name,

photoshop > photos and other raster images
illustrator > not such a huge clue but lines/fixed colours, paths not pixles (kind of)
 
#17
h_freezy said:
yeah yeah, why can't PS be as good as illustrator in rendering vectors and all that stuff. Adobe are just jokers. Why not incorporate illustrator into PS. Also PS for websites also because i just don't like dreamweaver for no reason.
why not just one software called Ultimate PS for everything.........you dig?
It's called Creative Suite innit?
 

Greg

Active Member
#18
Hi Tom,

As the others have already said (in a round about way) you need to understand the differences between vector graphics and raster graphics, and know when it's appropriate to use them. As has already been pointed out if you're working with software that creates vector paths (best suited for logos and vector illustrations) then you can scale that logo to any size needed.

The other thing with having a logo in vector format is it makes it suitable for other applications than just printing, for example signwriting vinyl software can import a vector path and use it to cut sign vinyl.

Check out Wikipedia for some more info on vector vs raster - Vector graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Greg
 

h_freezy

Senior Member
#19
now i get it. thats why the stupid printers who did my business card were moaning about my design and that i should have used illustrator
 

Greg

Active Member
#20
h_freezy said:
now i get it. thats why the stupid printers who did my business card were moaning about my design and that i should have used illustrator
Not the printers fault!
But sounds like you've learnt a valuable lesson from it :cool: