Just Add Stock International Competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael (mrp2049) - the wording of the 'competition' wasn't the best but it was more down to the fact they made such a huge point (as if doing us a favour or even elitism) by offering the competition for free that would ultimately be used to pad out their magazine (for free) just for what turns out to be an award from a magazine that I've never heard of. Maybe it would have been better as a showcase feature, plenty of other design magazines do this. Hell some of these magazines offer a prize (like a macbook pro or adobe software) just for entering a simple quiz based competition.

It didn't help when my first comment was completely ignored by the op, especially considering they had been online and seen the comment several times.

Combined with the fact that according to Justaddstock, just because I've never heard of said magazine then theres no reason for the award to appeal to me. I don't know maybe consider trying to sell the magazine or the merits of the award to me rather than saying it doesn't appeal to me (underlying elitism again) would have been a better approach. Especially considering the later post of "We want to attract a wide variety of designers, including freelancers and thats why we publicized the award on a number of forums such as this one"

As to the 'tracker comment' from Justaddstock - its a link, links get clicked on, doesn't mean it gets any further than that, also I'm sure that you have used the same shortcut on ALL the forums you've used.

If your magazine is as good as you are implying then sell it to me, if you sold the product rather than implying that potential readers aren't good enough for it then you might get somewhere.

Levi said:
Michael (mrp2049) - the wording of the 'competition' wasn't the best but it was more down to the fact they made such a huge point (as if doing us a favour or even elitism) by offering the competition for free that would ultimately be used to pad out their magazine (for free) just for what turns out to be an award from a magazine that I've never heard of. Maybe it would have been better as a showcase feature, plenty of other design magazines do this. Hell some of these magazines offer a prize (like a macbook pro or adobe software) just for entering a simple quiz based competition.

It didn't help when my first comment was completely ignored by the op, especially considering they had been online and seen the comment several times.

Combined with the fact that according to Justaddstock, just because I've never heard of said magazine then theres no reason for the award to appeal to me. I don't know maybe consider trying to sell the magazine or the merits of the award to me rather than saying it doesn't appeal to me (underlying elitism again) would have been a better approach. Especially considering the later post of "We want to attract a wide variety of designers, including freelancers and thats why we publicized the award on a number of forums such as this one"

As to the 'tracker comment' from Justaddstock - its a link, links get clicked on, doesn't mean it gets any further than that, also I'm sure that you have used the same shortcut on ALL the forums you've used.

If your magazine is as good as you are implying then sell it to me, if you sold the product rather than implying that potential readers aren't good enough for it then you might get somewhere.

There really is no elitism coming from me. If a magazine I had never heard of asked me to submit work based on the 'prestige' of the publication it would mean nothing to me. I'd have to already be familiar with the product (and supportive of it) to even be interested.

The bit.ly link tracks and shows where each visitor has clicked the link from when I log into the stats, same link on every forum yes, but bit.ly tells me exactly how many people have visited from each site.

I believe your initial problem was why should you submit work to a magazine you have never heard of for no prize, my answer is don't. Not based on any elitism whatsoever.

Justaddstock said:
The bit.ly link tracks and shows where each visitor has clicked the link from when I log into the stats, same link on every forum yes, but bit.ly tells me exactly how many people have visited from each site.
still doesn't mean any have taken it further than clicking the link.

I believe your initial problem was why should you submit work to a magazine you have never heard of for no prize, my answer is don't. Not based on any elitism whatsoever.
actually my first issue was being ignored and then replied to in the way that you did. The assumption that just because someone has not heard of your magazine means that the award would not appeal to someone came across in a way that appeared quite arrogant (and elitist) to me, in some respects implying that I wasn't good enough to enter said competition just because I didn't know of your magazine.

I probably wouldn't have entered the competition but I may have considered reading your magazine which is the ultimate goal of this competition (getting more paper based readers in an increasingly free online field), the way that the posts have come across (be it intended in that way or not) have taken away any interest I may have had.

Levi said:
still doesn't mean any have taken it further than clicking the link.

The Ip address given by the tracker can then be matched to the ip address which was used to upload their work to your ftp host.

So yes it has gone further.

As for taking my posts the wrong way, I apologise if you did, but you set the tone.

Levi said:
Ok, so what do I win if I was to enter said competition, up until it was mentioned on this site I'd never heard of either of those 2 links that were posted.

And neither of those actually mention a prize, plus I'm so grateful its free to enter a competition such as this :rolleyes:

At the moment I can't see any reason why I would want to enter a competition that is fundamentally no different to work we do everyday and get nothing out of it :confused:

That was my first post so how exactly did that set the tone for your future comments?

All that post has is 2 questions plus a quirky comment over the 'free' nature of the competition and for reference a smiley means the comment should be taken in jest and is not meant in an offensive or otherwise manner.

fact is i'm backing levi, because he's talking sense.

justaddstock: you're entitled to your opinion but if you're not willing to read constructive criticism or different opinions, why did you come to the forum?

Well Berry.. bare in mind any fight involving you, the people involved need to have shots, you fight like a bear :p :lol:

Michael - DF rumble - that started with Berry (or should I say Barry) :p

Tim - if I have a point to put across I always make sure I can back it up and thanks for the support :)

Berry - you're welcome to join in, you were being called Barry after all :)

Levi said:
Michael - DF rumble - that started with Berry (or should I say Barry) :p

Berry - you're welcome to join in, you were being called Barry after all :)

if we get ken involved, considering he is DF royalty, then we would have a ROYAL RUMBLE on our hands and its not even January!!!

I think this debate has reached the end, Im not convinced there was ever a start but like justaddstock says if you dont want to enter simply dont!

A lot of us design for the sake of it or for fun, there is no commercial reward for that so getting published in a magazine of any description would be a bonus. I will probably have a proper read of the entry terms and submit some work.

Get off the tag-along bandwagon and think for yourself.

I think? the issue is that Levi still really didn't get a straight reply to his original question. What's the prize? There is none, simply a recognition of your work. That therefore implies it is not a competition as there is no competitive strategic element other than dusting down and review of some past work.

Now I have judge countless national ad and design awards, and all had individual criteria and objectives to meet and 'Awards' were given of various merits that recognised submisions and the abilty to meet the pre-requites of entry. There is a good judging panel but I still can't see where the submitter benefits. Trophy, Awards, Kudos? Gold, Silver, Bronze? It still seems like a way of getting online content. Competition - Entry - Decision - Prize. That's how it works, whether its photograph or a weekend London Break holiday.

mrp2049 said:
if we get ken involved, considering he is DF royalty, then we would have a ROYAL RUMBLE on our hands and its not even January!!!

Do you mean me?????? :confused: Can't remember the coronation. Or is this just a clever way of accusing me of being a queen? :D

As for the debate, it's just bad communication. If you come onto a forum to introduce something, presenting it as a competition you need to be crystal clear from the start and answer all questions succinctly. Which for the most part I think was achieved.

The trouble comes from trying convince a load of cynical designers (that's us lot BTW), of the benefits of the exposure they can give us.

I'm with br3n, look at the site, read the guidelines then decide whether to enter or not.

I'll get off the fence now, the splinters in my arse are killing me.

However, I'm just LIVID that he got Berry's name wrong! ;):lol:

It is probably a clever way of calling you a Queen Ken :p :lol: especially with all the splinters in your arse :p :lol:

chrismitchell said:
It is probably a clever way of calling you a Queen Ken :p :lol: especially with all the splinters in your arse :p :lol:

why do i feel like i've missed something?

Ken, you won the comp, you are DF royalty now!

I thought that Berry and Timbo were the DF royalty :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back