Just Add Stock International Competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justaddstock said:
The main aspect of the brief is the use of stock photography, thats why I've been posting on forums where I'm more likely to get freelancers rather than big agencies

Yes I grasped that part of the concept, it was more the introduction text on the site...

"We want to see how designers have responded to the challenge of working without commissioned imagery"

So my point was, as a freelancer, it's a challenge I have with all of my projects and not a challenge that has been created by the competition. That was all :)

PS- The competition is getting some nice exposure if you've created a thread with 20+ replies and over 130 views on multiple forums :p

Of course we haven't created the challenge, but we want to base a competition around it.

Sounds like you should enter Greg ;)

Ok, so what do I win if I was to enter said competition, up until it was mentioned on this site I'd never heard of either of those 2 links that were posted.

And neither of those actually mention a prize, plus I'm so grateful its free to enter a competition such as this :rolleyes:

At the moment I can't see any reason why I would want to enter a competition that is fundamentally no different to work we do everyday and get nothing out of it :confused:

the prize i knowing that you entered a competition.. surely thats enough :p :lol:

if this is as straight forward as it sounds, i've just finished a job using a stock image, so could that be an entry?

I'm sure Barry will help clear this up...this is like poking a bear!

Yes it really is that straight forward.

As long as you get it in to us before the deadline which is only a few weeks away.

We are still waiting for Barrys entry to come in.

You do realise his name is Berry not Barry? Just thought I would check :)

I notice that my comment was completely avoided. I think that says it all really.

so no comments on the prize.. does that mean that there isn't one? :p

The emphasis is really on getting work published in a special issue of Eye at the moment.

It only requires that you send work you have already completed, we're not asking for anything new.

We want to attract a wide variety of designers, including freelancers and thats why we publicized the award on a number of forums such as this one.

So, if you don't know about Eye, or our readership then I guess this award would be redundant for you.

Justaddstock said:
We want to attract a wide variety of designers, including freelancers and thats why we publicized the award on a number of forums such as this one.

So, if you don't know about Eye, or our readership then I guess this award would be redundant for you.

If this magazine is so well known, then why isn't it mentioned more often when magazines are brought up, I can't actually remember it ever being mentioned on any of the forums I frequent (and theres quite a few) :confused:

You can't exactly say that the freelancers on this site have taken a huge interest in your magazine/competition at the moment either, so maybe your marketing or brand isn't as well known as you think it is. Actually thinking about it, I haven't actually seen/heard any of my designers friends mention eye magazine either :confused:
I also did a google for 'best design magazines' to see if I had missed a magazine thats highly rated etc - out of the first 2 pages of search results 1 link mentioned your magazine.

Having looked at the site it appears the magazine is quarterly and is aimed mainly at designers (I might be wrong but thats my impression) so from a personal perspective, what good is the award if the only people that are really going to know about it are your competition?

i'll be honest with you, i've never heard of Eye.. but I might just be too old to know about it.. or been out of the country when it started up.. the only real design magazines i've heard of are Creative Review and DesignWeek :)

Levi said:
I

Having looked at the site it appears the magazine is quarterly = True

and is aimed mainly at designers = False

I'm not here to argue for the magazines status, and as for no/little support from this site, the bit.ly tracker link says otherwise, we've had for more visits from different ip's than pointlessly negative comments.

i actually like this idea, stock imagery is a good thing, and showing off what you have done with it is fine.

only a b line thought perhaps its the wording as a competiton that has got at levi?

I am trying my best to word this carefully, would this be better worded if you were just asking for submissions using stock photography? the reward would then be exposure in your magazine.

I've certainly heard of eye magazine, and know it has a very good reputation, perhaps to highlight the value of the prize, ie. the exposure in the magazine for the winners work, you could tell us a bit about the readership/circulation figures anticipated for the special edition issue?

Thanks,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back