Is Design respected?

mrDerek said:
All these rules and standards that designers adhere to... they're only there for competition among designers.
I think that's true, hands down.

I once thought that if IE6 would actually disappear, wouldn't that make everyone's job easier? Nowadays being able to develop for IE6 might actually set you apart from the crowd, so if it were to disappear would that take away from my competitive position? No. Later I realized that you can turn this around: being able to develop for future browsers (i.e. use html5 and css3) sets you apart.

But as nice as that little speech may be, there's still practically nobody outside the industry that cares. * I want to add a smiley here but I can't quite think which one would suit this idea *

Renniks said:
It is not about noticing it, it is about making it easier without them knowing.
That's a quote you read here and there but to me it always seems to be overly simplistic and slightly contrary. Oh I'll be doing this and that, and I'll be charging you for it. You might not notice it but you can take my word for it that it's better than it was before.

All in all, whether the outside world cares or not, whenever I deliver something functional and nice I feel good about myself and that counts for something too, right? (nod)

EDIT: and here is an article/discussion which I came by some time ago: What's the Point of Being a Designer? Drawar Forums

RE-EDIT: here's a keynote/video from the awesome Gary Vaynerchuk: Gary Vaynerchuk - Video

I totally agree with what Tony is pointed out here, I have a current client who does not respect design, usabilty etc etc..I and a friend have advised her about what she wants and the idea's we have put for, the client does not want to listen and just wants it her way, and her way only..so much for client the customer is always right...

Of course liking what you've designed is important...
Saying that - just because your client doesn't understand makes it not necessary is a bit silly... obviously totally different level but just because you don't understand what your doctor is doing, doesn't mean he shouldn't do the proper job and then charge you for it..

A well designed website is worthless without good useful content.
The design is only a by product. It's not a priority to the users of the website.

With the help of CMSs and templates, it's not that hard to put together a website which satisfies 'basic' design ethics. enough so that the business is able to put out information and content to their clients and users.

What designers do is kind of like making the seats of a cinema more comfortable. Will the customers notice the difference? maybe, maybe not. They don't go to the cinema to enjoy the comfort of the seats, they went there to enjoy a movie.

mrDerek said:
A well designed website is worthless without good useful content.
Agreed
mrDerek said:
The design is only a by product. It's not a priority to the users of the website.
Agreed
mrDerek said:
With the help of CMSs and templates, it's not that hard to put together a website which satisfies 'basic' design ethics. enough so that the business is able to put out information and content to their clients and users.

Disagree, if that was the case there wouldn't be so many terrible websites, even the best designers and developers create shoddy (or not to their usual standards) pieces of work some times, that don't keep to good standards of usability. Alot of people in the business don't even know about the usability issues they should keep to.
mrDerek said:
What designers do is kind of like making the seats of a cinema more comfortable. Will the customers notice the difference? maybe, maybe not. They don't go to the cinema to enjoy the comfort of the seats, they went there to enjoy a movie.

Agree, however, bad seats would ruin a film, as bad design would ruin content...

Some really interesting points.

I would like to add my two pence worth...

On clients and respect, the bottom line is work with people that you get on with don't work with clients that won't pay your rates. Your never going to do your best work or enjoy the project if you feel you are getting taken for a mug.

Also if a logo takes (for arguments sake) 5hrs to design why charge £100 and win 5 jobs taking 25 hours. When you can charge £500 and do one job and any time to spare you look for new work...

On the different client types, on big corporate/gov contracts its about, layers of management, decision makers and project management, very little about ideas and design so don't be mislead by sensational headlines and budgets.

On SME's this is tough because it is difficult to convince small business to pay a premium and part with cash. But your experience and knowledge is what they are buying more than just design. If like me your more interested in drawing and ideas, head down scribbling away, this is difficult because you have to get out you comfort zone and sing the virtues of good design and the benefits.

cheers

mrDerek said:

Renniks said:
Agree, however, bad seats would ruin a film, as bad design would ruin content...

That's a very interesting analogy, and a very true response.
*makes a mental note* ;)

mrDerek said:

Renniks said:
Disagree, if that was the case there wouldn't be so many terrible websites, even the best designers and developers create shoddy (or not to their usual standards) pieces of work some times, that don't keep to good standards of usability. Alot of people in the business don't even know about the usability issues they should keep to.

I guess We just have a different perception of what "basic design ethics" entails.

To me, as long as the design of a website is not down right outrageous (e.g. bright yellow text on a light background with flashing animations) then it is sufficient for the masses. Anything beyond that in most cases isn't really necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE good design. I just don't think that it's that big a priority to the masses.

:) We probably do.

What I'm leaning towards is not the love of good design, or the priority it holds with us or the general public, but that it should be necessary due to the increased accessibility and usability it brings.

I'm sure jazajay could quote some figures if he was about but a huge number of people have disabilities that making browsing hard enough, to then make it more difficult by implementing poor design is not acceptable.

This along side things such as lowering bounce rates, lowering people not finding what they are after, giving people content in the best possible manner, meeting client briefs and general pleasant things is the reason that design is so important and should be held on a high regard, and hence paid properly for.

The costs good companies charge are not for them to boost their ego, or because no-one else can supply a design... it is because they complete the task properly.

mrDerek said:
To me, as long as the design of a website is not down right outrageous (e.g. bright yellow text on a light background with flashing animations) then it is sufficient for the masses. Anything beyond that in most cases isn't really necessary.

I completely disagree. Design is, like Renniks mentioned earlier, also about pshycology, communication, and associations. Even people who don't care about design are still subconciously affected by design. Take a luxury brand like Prada I.E. Their style of design, typography and general branding screams luxury and quality. People will therefore buy into that brand because they associate their design style with quality. If another high end fashion retailer had products of similar quality, but their branding didn't reflect this, they'd lose out to their competitors I think.

Everybody would probably be fine with designs that are just sufficient. But I think that the companies who then did spend the money to get a proper design done for them, would instantly have an edge over their competitors.

Weird example maybe, but my friend (who doesn't care about design or art at all) bought a Green & Blacks chocolate bar the other day, because he thought the wrapper looked nice.

Good design can have a huge effect on people even if they're not artistically minded in my opinion.

If you take a look at some A/B tests there are instances of huge leaps in conversion rates from design and layout changes alone. Both versions have the same content and they're both passable, yet one is hugely more profitable. It doesn't even have to be massive changes, I'm talking about just altering the colour of the call to action button, or trimming the copy a little, tiny things like that, and they have a real effect for the company running the site.

I mean sure, as a customer you're not going to go down the pub and tell your friends you were on an amazingly well designed website and that's what made you buy the shirt you're wearing, but again, it's not about conscious appreciation. It's the fact that the site was designed in a way which made it as easy as possible for you to buy a shirt that you liked, and so you've gained something from that design choice without even being aware of it.

If someone asks you what you do and you reply "I'm a designer/graphic designer/web designer" etc, you will more often than not get a good response (ie you havent wasted your life content to work as little as possible and/or live on the dole forever, you actually tried hard and did something).

In terms of clients, I think it comes down to two kinds of people:

People not versed in the hard work and attention to detail that goes into designing something often won't appreciate the intricacies of design, nor see you as a master craftsperson thereof. They would see it as a "thing" they want you to provide for them. Many people go to the cheapest garage, electricity/boradband/phone suppliers. They often see "design" as no different - a commodity to purchase as cheaply as possible.

Other people more experienced in hiring designers or other creative types to their own ends (and therefore knowing that basically design is one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things) probably respect Design and the people who make a living from it a whole lot more.

I think the difference here is knowledge of the thing itself.

The sad thing is if there were more educated people, there would be less people in the field (imo) due to the actual difficulty that the job entails to complete well. Rather than lots of people (I was probably one of them, I just have a big desire to learn) who felt that they are decent with a computer and can obviously work out how to do design - how hard can it be...

Which may result in more cash flow as a result (aswell)

I definitely think that anyone can appreciate good design. Many people for instance love and appreciate music but will put their hands up and say they're tone deaf and wouldn't have the first idea about writing music.
You don't have to be creative to understand and respect good design when its in front of you, prob just a sense of 'well they definitely knew what they were doing' better than I could...

It is an issue. But it must be one of education. To play with your example, people now use plumbers because they know if they don’t their house will get flooded. They use a sparky because if they try to do it themselves they could die. But that is something they have learned in time. With design people don’t know why they need to use a pro and so don’t bother.

The it is also to do with the status quo, if someone tells you he is pluming his house you think wow, you must be a Plummer or stupid. But if someone says I am designing a website or a new logo for my company you don’t think twice about it. Its one of these ‘areas’ were you can make a saving, or that is what some think.

Now in business people are starting to see the value in good design and so are prepared to payout, but still you find the budget for design is the last thing to be considered and gets what’s left of the budget rather than a real slice.

There seems to be a lack of knowledge about what is involved in getting good design done. You ask people they say "its easy anyone can do it, my son designed a website for me, he is only 14".

Website should have a little counter on them that shows how much it cost to build and how much its costing to maintain. That way people would not come to me asking to all signing all dancing custom CMS for £200.

So we need to educate, we might also need some sort of recognised body that the better designers can join to add value. You know like chartered for a accountants.

You have to take some relief in that fact that it is not just design that is devalued. More and more in life we take things for granted and expect them to be free or cheep as chips e.g. music, films, luxury items.

Back