Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm stuck at creating an animation.

Discussion in 'Animation, Motion Design & Film Making' started by szlwson, Jan 30, 2011.

1. szlwson

szlwson Junior Member

I'm trying to create an animation with Gimp. All I'm trying to do is a shooting star so that a white line moves across the page. I drew a star on one layer and then created more layers with the same image but moving across, so that a separate image is on each layer. I want it so that it plays with each image showing separate, but when I went to preview the animation it actually shows every layer one after the other like I want, but the previous image doesn't disappear so that it looks like one line. How can I make each image appear one at a time, instead of showing it so that the previous image doesn't disappear? I hope that makes sense.

I put it on this page to show what I mean. Instead of showing one image after the other, it shows them all so the previous image doesn't go : http://ennazus1.webs.com/page1.html

2. szlwson

szlwson Junior Member

Is this the right forum to be asking this question? I found it with google search.

3. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Hold on in there fella....someone will help you out.

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

an introduction wouldn't go a miss :) edit - a proper one as you posted this there first....

As to the issue - assuming animated gifs (I hate doing them) you need to 'hide' the layers which are not in the frame at that time. ie frame 1 would only have first image, frame 2 would only have second image and so on....

5. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

I prefer fireworks for animated GIF's. If you have it just use the States. No idea about Gimp, its not used a great deal is it?

6. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

I use Photoshop for animated GIFs. It sounds convoluted - but you might need to 0% Opacity each layer for the frames you don't want them showing. PS will tween. Is there the option in Gimp?

@glenwheeler - Have you seen the Pixelmator UI? Beautiful. Pixelmator Another good PS alternative.

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Looking at the webpage, seems like szlwson solved the problem.

8. PrintingUK

PrintingUK Junior Member

Hi Dude
    Have you thought of using Blender or Elements? Works a treat and blender is free;)
    Hope this helps u

9. PrintingUK

PrintingUK Junior Member

Good point from Jhouse, Photoshop works a treat, fiddly though and if you dont have the program, its a tad expensive