I'm stuck at creating an animation.

szlwson

I'm trying to create an animation with Gimp. All I'm trying to do is a shooting star so that a white line moves across the page. I drew a star on one layer and then created more layers with the same image but moving across, so that a separate image is on each layer. I want it so that it plays with each image showing separate, but when I went to preview the animation it actually shows every layer one after the other like I want, but the previous image doesn't disappear so that it looks like one line. How can I make each image appear one at a time, instead of showing it so that the previous image doesn't disappear? I hope that makes sense.

I put it on this page to show what I mean. Instead of showing one image after the other, it shows them all so the previous image doesn't go : http://ennazus1.webs.com/page1.html

an introduction wouldn't go a miss :) edit - a proper one as you posted this there first....

As to the issue - assuming animated gifs (I hate doing them) you need to 'hide' the layers which are not in the frame at that time. ie frame 1 would only have first image, frame 2 would only have second image and so on....

I prefer fireworks for animated GIF's. If you have it just use the States. No idea about Gimp, its not used a great deal is it?

I use Photoshop for animated GIFs. It sounds convoluted - but you might need to 0% Opacity each layer for the frames you don't want them showing. PS will tween. Is there the option in Gimp?

@glenwheeler - Have you seen the Pixelmator UI? Beautiful. Pixelmator Another good PS alternative.

szlwson said:
I'm trying to create an animation with Gimp. All I'm trying to do is a shooting star so that a white line moves across the page. I drew a star on one layer and then created more layers with the same image but moving across, so that a separate image is on each layer. I want it so that it plays with each image showing separate, but when I went to preview the animation it actually shows every layer one after the other like I want, but the previous image doesn't disappear so that it looks like one line. How can I make each image appear one at a time, instead of showing it so that the previous image doesn't disappear? I hope that makes sense.

I put it on this page to show what I mean. Instead of showing one image after the other, it shows them all so the previous image doesn't go : http://ennazus1.webs.com/page1.html

Hi Dude
Have you thought of using Blender or Elements? Works a treat and blender is free;)
Hope this helps u

Good point from Jhouse, Photoshop works a treat, fiddly though and if you dont have the program, its a tad expensive

Back