Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would I go about creating a cartoon image like this?

Discussion in 'Illustration Forum:' started by Arcadia, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Arcadia

Arcadia New Member

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place. I've recently started watching iZombie and I can't get over how amazing the cartoon-style images look.

Is anyone able to tell me how I could take a video still screenshot and turn it into a work of art like this. Or can anyone here do this?

Thanks,
    Arc x

Attached Files:

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

This is hand-drawn so you'd need to draw over a video still to get the best results. There's a photoshop filter that does a kind-of cartoon look and gives elements black outlines, but it's not perfect.

3. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not the best image to reproduce as it's got a guassian blur on it to add depth of field.
    If you'd got a really high res image it 'may' be able to do an image trace in AI but I'd guess if you wanted a decent result it's need to be re-drawn which is pretty easy but a bit time consuming.

4. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

5. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

If you're talking about the credits to the show, it's just straightforward comic book illustration on separate layers.

(A Scanner Darkly was a film produced using a combination of live action and animation)