Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to refresh fonts without closing?

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by BenJonesDesign, Aug 5, 2010.

1. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

Hi guys,

Some may have heard this question many times but i just can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

When downloading a font while using illustrator, photoshop etc, is there a way to refresh the fonts without having to restart the program?

2. wac

wac Senior Member

I don't think there is but let me know if you find out differently!

3. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

Photoshop and Illustrator refresh it automatically when you install a new font.

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

That's not always true... Mine for example doesn't do that by default but by dragging the fonts onto a font manager (which automatically installs and categorizes them) they are also automatically loaded into the software running.

I use FontExplorer® X - Professional font management software but it's rather pricy. You could try the cheaper Fontcase | Elegant font management but I'm sure there's some free alternatives. But I can't guarantee that all of them work like mine does.

5. BenJonesDesign

Thanks guys, that's a great help i'll give it a try.

6. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

What do you mean yours, you have the same Illustrator as everyone else :p, it should work. If anything I've experienced more problems with the refresh when using a font manager (suitcase).

Although this is on Windows I should say, I think OSX works a little different.

7. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

By mine, I meant my computer :p
    I'm on Leopard (10.5) and installing fonts puts them in the so-called 'Font Book' but it doesn't load into PS/AI automatically.

8. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Yeah, you have to activate them.

9. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

I think up to CS2 you have to restart the application too :up:

10. BenJonesDesign

I'm in CS5 so still no refresh lol.

11. Becky

Becky Member

Works in CS3 and 4 on the PC :/

12. BenJonesDesign

well must just be on the mac then. I'll try it out on my friends pc perhaps

13. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Why would you need to install a font once they are open :S

14. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Have you tried turning it off and on again? (nod)

15. Becky

Becky Member

I've done it from time to time, just out of pure laziness lol. But normally no

16. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if there was a way. I always have to restart the program too. CS4.