How to refresh fonts without closing?

BenJonesDesign

Hi guys,

Some may have heard this question many times but i just can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

When downloading a font while using illustrator, photoshop etc, is there a way to refresh the fonts without having to restart the program?

Mark Alexander said:
Photoshop and Illustrator refresh it automatically when you install a new font.
That's not always true... Mine for example doesn't do that by default but by dragging the fonts onto a font manager (which automatically installs and categorizes them) they are also automatically loaded into the software running.

I use FontExplorer® X - Professional font management software but it's rather pricy. You could try the cheaper Fontcase | Elegant font management but I'm sure there's some free alternatives. But I can't guarantee that all of them work like mine does.

Onartis said:
That's not always true... Mine for example doesn't do that by default but by dragging the fonts onto a font manager (which automatically installs and categorizes them) they are also automatically loaded into the software running.

I use FontExplorer® X - Professional font management software but it's rather pricy. You could try the cheaper Fontcase | Elegant font management but I'm sure there's some free alternatives. But I can't guarantee that all of them work like mine does.

What do you mean yours, you have the same Illustrator as everyone else :p, it should work. If anything I've experienced more problems with the refresh when using a font manager (suitcase).

Although this is on Windows I should say, I think OSX works a little different.

By mine, I meant my computer :p
I'm on Leopard (10.5) and installing fonts puts them in the so-called 'Font Book' but it doesn't load into PS/AI automatically.

I've always wondered if there was a way. I always have to restart the program too. CS4.

Back