Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to quote for scanning

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by gprovan, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gprovan

gprovan Member

Hi All,

I've done plenty of scanning in the past but have been asked to quote on scanning about 120 illustrations for a book.
    I've only got an A4 scanner. Most illustrations will be A4 or smaller but some might be a little bigger and I might have to patch them together.

Estimating that with colour correcting, sharpening, etc., each should take about 5-10 minutes. I reckon it's about 20 hours of work.

Should I be charging for each scan or as a total at an hourly rate?
    The concern is that someone else could do the job quicker and more efficientlly on a flashier scanner.

What are all your thoughts?

Ta

Graeme :icon_smile:

2. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

Scanning prices seem to be much of a muchness wherever you go, on avergae bureaus are charging £5 a scan, fair enough that is for one-ff jobs, but if you look at scanningdiect.co.uk they are quoting £6 for 120 pages :icon_rolleyes:

3. gprovan

gprovan Member

That's interesting. I wonder though if £6 for 120 pages is just for standard A4 sheets from a printer. The ones I'll be scanning are hand-drawn illustrations on heavy watercolour sheets.

Do you know if the bureaus generally do any sharpening, colour correction for that price?

Just trying to justify my costs when I work them out :icon_biggrin:

4. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

I have no idea about scanningdirect but you could drop them a speculative email and ask??

The bureaus I know of don't include photo touch-up / manipulation for that price.