How to quote for scanning

gprovan

Hi All,

I've done plenty of scanning in the past but have been asked to quote on scanning about 120 illustrations for a book.
I've only got an A4 scanner. Most illustrations will be A4 or smaller but some might be a little bigger and I might have to patch them together.

Estimating that with colour correcting, sharpening, etc., each should take about 5-10 minutes. I reckon it's about 20 hours of work.

Should I be charging for each scan or as a total at an hourly rate?
The concern is that someone else could do the job quicker and more efficientlly on a flashier scanner.

What are all your thoughts?

Ta

Graeme :icon_smile:

Scanning prices seem to be much of a muchness wherever you go, on avergae bureaus are charging £5 a scan, fair enough that is for one-ff jobs, but if you look at scanningdiect.co.uk they are quoting £6 for 120 pages :icon_rolleyes:

Scanning prices seem to be much of a muchness wherever you go, on avergae bureaus are charging £5 a scan, fair enough that is for one-ff jobs, but if you look at scanningdiect.co.uk they are quoting £6 for 120 pages :icon_rolleyes:

That's interesting. I wonder though if £6 for 120 pages is just for standard A4 sheets from a printer. The ones I'll be scanning are hand-drawn illustrations on heavy watercolour sheets.

Do you know if the bureaus generally do any sharpening, colour correction for that price?

Just trying to justify my costs when I work them out :icon_biggrin:

I have no idea about scanningdirect but you could drop them a speculative email and ask??

The bureaus I know of don't include photo touch-up / manipulation for that price.

Back