Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helvetica - The Movie

Discussion in 'Font Forum:' started by Aarlev, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Have anybody here seen Helvetica - The Movie? . If so, is it worth buying? I've read some reviews and it sounds interesting, but I'd love to hear some opinions from designers :)
  2. matt

matt Member

I like it. I can't see it being something you'd watch more than once or twice though (it's not come out of its case a second time since I got it).
  3. DereckJohnson

DereckJohnson Junior Member

Very interesting, but I don't know if I'd bother buying it tough.
  4. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Everyone I speak to about this film says its pretty good.

Depends how deep your interest in fonts runs.
  5. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Ok thanks guys. I think I'll put it on my Christmas wishlist then :)
  6. samantha

samantha Junior Member

I loved it, and saw it twice. However, my design background has very little in regard to history so I lap up all I can.

On a semi-related note, if you are a fan of the typeface and use Google Reader you may enjoy Helvetireader
  7. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Good film - sorry great film - saw it at the Newcastle showing last December - Mr Build was in attendance which was nice. Not all pro helvetica either - which wasn't expected.

Gary Huswits new film (which aint Avant Garde - much to my disapointment) Objectified is on the way next. Don't think the Empire has that on general release mind.
  8. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but a few month's back I did watch (well, caught the back end of) a programme/film about Helvetica. I believe it was on BBC.
    Was very interesting though!
  9. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Yeah that was Alan Yentobs show - forget the name - they did an edited down version of the film. Doubt the vast majority of most Sunday night 10pm viewers found it that compelling mind -

"ere wor Bob look at that kerning...its propa good like"
  10. mr_sharpe

mr_sharpe Junior Member

wicked film - buy it and support the makers
  11. I love it! :) Going to be one of the first DVDs I buy once I get settled in the UK!
  12. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Is that Mac only, and if not, how on earth do I use it?

Cheers :up:
  13. samantha

samantha Junior Member

You can use Helvetireader with Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari and so on, just not IE...

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
  14. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Cheers Samantha.

I saw that, clicked the 'Install as a userscript' part and it loaded some code, but I've no idea where to place said code to get it to work. Any ideas? :)
  15. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Just watched it... and to quote Stefan Sagmeister from the documentary: