Help with a W3C validation warning

Jazajay

Right i was just validating some code to make sure it was all correct and that I haven't missed something when I noticed this warning. now my code looks fine, countless searches says my code is fine, but I'm still getting the warning.

The following notes and warnings highlight missing or conflicting information which caused the validator to perform some guesswork prior to validation. If the guess or fallback is incorrect, it could make validation results entirely incoherent. It is highly recommended to check these potential issues, and, if necessary, fix them and re-validate the document.

1. info.png
    Using Direct Input mode: UTF-8 character encoding assumed
    Unlike the “by URI” and “by File Upload” modes, the “Direct Input” mode of the validator provides validated content in the form of characters pasted or typed in the validator's form field. This will automatically make the data UTF-8, and therefore the validator does not need to determine the character encoding of your document, and will ignore any charset information specified.
    If you notice a discrepancy in detected character encoding between the the “Direct Input” mode and other validator modes, this is likely to be the reason. It is neither a bug in the validator, nor in your document.
Cite:The W3C Markup Validation Service

Right so heres my code ~
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" dir="ltr">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
Any takers well confused.

Jaz

Oooo....yeah, don't worry that'll teach me to code with a hang over, I cant believe I just spent 15 mins looking up why that was spitting out a warning...err....ooops. :cry:

Muppet mistake bolded above.

I'll put that up there with the question I asked my other half the other week when I got back from a run I think ~

"If I run 7 miles in bang on 1 hour how many miles per hour do you reckon that is?"

Err....yeah. Sigh.

Cheers any way.

Jaz

Will it not be because the headers aren't being passed to the validator? The charset gets passed to the validator via headers when you do it via URI, but it can't do this when you input it directly. Save that as a file on your desktop, open it in Firefox (with web dev toolbar installed) and hit Shift+Ctrl+A.

Lol yeah exactly, it's because I was using direct input mode, which it actually says in the flaming warning!!!!! :mad:

I even ran the W3C page though it and got the same warning which confused the f**k out of me TBH. Pure dumbass thing to do. But thanks for the response none the less, much appreciated.

It's going to be 1 of those days me thinks.

Jaz :)

I posted the response and yours popped up as I hit the post button haha, so you figured it out before I realised you had. If that makes sense? Definitely one of those day for me haha.

Yeah I gathered, lol, 15 mins trying to figure it though what an idiot. :down:

I'm really not looking forward to the rest of the day now TBH, what a waste of time. :cry:

Cheers any way fella much appreciated none the less. :)

Jaz

Back