Graphic Design Freelancer Lifestyle

fear

Hi, I wanted to ask about and to graphic designers. I am interested in becoming a freelancers but I want to know for anybody who work in this field. What do you do, I am into and get distracted by computers and feel like I need to do something motivating then just sitting in the computer. I mean this is true, right, I mean it isn't really a lazy job, right? For those of you who work as a freelancer, what do you do? I mean during work, do you spend 8hrs on the computer? Is it more than just editing photos in this job? How about photograph, I heard not all photo editing require photography or to take photos, is this true? Can you make a living with this career, especially without having to know photograph? I don't have the skills for taking pictures and am getting some experience in photo shop and trying to learn more and more to get a good paying jobs. I mean what I need? I am single and don't mind living in an apartment or anything small, don't have a car, nor kids lol. What else besides photo editing during work hours do you do? I feel, again saying it, being in the computer 8hrs a day is me being lazy. Also, after hours, what do you do to keep moving? Again, working as a construction worker (job I hate lol but doing it meanwhile I learn photo shop and researching graphic design) and I feel I can lay down since its a physical job. I had tried photo editing for small, not worth a lot pay job, and after the 8hrs, I had just went from my room desk to my bed and go to the gym. What is your lifestyle as a graphic designer, more specifically for those who work as a freelance? Do you just do more then just sitting in your desk or do you go out there outside having to go places as well?

Thanks

Copying and pasting from chat gpt or any other ai platform is against the forum rules.
"Hello, thank you for your interest in graphic design. It is a highly creative field that requires hard work and dedication. For those who choose to pursue it, graphic design can offer great opportunities for success both as an independent freelancer or within a reputable company.

As a professional graphic designer myself, I can attest to the freedom and independence this career path can provide. Unlike other jobs with strict targets or schedules, graphic design allows me to showcase my creativity and come up with unique solutions for each project. Plus, working as a freelancer or content creator means I have even more control over my hours and workload.

It's important to note that no job should be considered "little" - each one has its own set of challenges and rewards. However, in my opinion, a graphic design lifestyle offers unparalleled opportunities for artistic expression and financial success. Additionally, photo editing jobs are also incredibly creative and can allow for travel to exciting places.

Thank you for considering a career in graphic design - it truly is a rewarding and fulfilling field."

@fear If you're not really sure what a graphic designer is then maybe it's not the profession for you. Here's how it usually goes:

1. Find yourself a design course
2. Find yourself a job in your chosen design field
3. Go freelance when you feel you are ready and when you have the experience necessary

Hi, I wanted to ask about and to graphic designers. I am interested in becoming a freelancers but I want to know for anybody who work in this field. What do you do, I am into and get distracted by computers and feel like I need to do something motivating then just sitting in the computer. I mean this is true, right, I mean it isn't really a lazy job, right? For those of you who work as a freelancer, what do you do? I mean during work, do you spend 8hrs on the computer? Is it more than just editing photos in this job? How about photograph, I heard not all photo editing require photography or to take photos, is this true? Can you make a living with this career, especially without having to know photograph? I don't have the skills for taking pictures and am getting some experience in photo shop and trying to learn more and more to get a good paying jobs. I mean what I need? I am single and don't mind living in an apartment or anything small, don't have a car, nor kids lol. What else besides photo editing during work hours do you do? I feel, again saying it, being in the computer 8hrs a day is me being lazy. Also, after hours, what do you do to keep moving? Again, working as a construction worker (job I hate lol but doing it meanwhile I learn photo shop and researching graphic design) and I feel I can lay down since its a physical job. I had tried photo editing for small, not worth a lot pay job, and after the 8hrs, I had just went from my room desk to my bed and go to the gym. What is your lifestyle as a graphic designer, more specifically for those who work as a freelance? Do you just do more then just sitting in your desk or do you go out there outside having to go places as well?

Thanks
NOT GPT - genuine response from a freelancer of 20+ years:

So... long message to process, but I'll do my best. I am a designer/artworker, Mac-based using Adobe software, and working for the last 10 years from home. Here's a warning before you read on - this will contain stuff that you're probably not necessarily going to be expecting to hear:

1> Make sure that you are as strong administratively as you are creative. That is to say, you have to have as much control over the efficient running of your business as you do in actually doing the work. Keeping track of expenses, annual accounts, billing, etc. You might find yourself spending more time on this side than you might be comfortable with.

2> Be confident that you can get the work. Personally, I've been used to tapping into ad/marketing agencies that outsource or larger businesses that have marketing departments. That way, if you are on a roster, the work comes to you. Don't rely on that though. You have to market yourself and be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. In my experience, smaller customers with less budget to spend tend to be the most difficult. You also have to be confident in your abilities.

3> Chances are more likely than not that you will NOT be getting 8 hours' worth of work a day, every day. You might currently be employed on an 8-hour-a-day permanent contract, but that employer will pay for a full day's work, regardless of how busy you are. The days of clocking up dollars whilst chatting around the water cooler will be distant memories for a newly self-appointed freelancer. Be prepared for a day, or days, with nothing to do if you do not have a steady flow of work. But, expect to be at your desk for the duration of your low spells anyway. And have your phone close by...

4> Is it going to be worth it financially? It's true that freelancers can command a higher hourly rate, but you have to balance this against the fact that the volume of work you do directly impacts your income. You could command $100 per hour. 40 hours a week is $4k earned in 5 days. Sounds great. Now factor in that you might only have had 3 hours of work over the course of last week. And if that's the norm, that's dreams of retirement at the age of 40 smashed to bits! I've been on the receiving end of both the frustration of having no work and being ridiculously busy. On the one hand, no work for 2 weeks, no matter how hard I tried. On the flip side, I've worked 35 hours solid in a single shift! (seriously). Planning your time can be difficult (see point 6). BUT, do not be afraid to review the situation at any time. You and you alone are able to decide if the risk has been worth it. If you are NOT seeing gains over what you could otherwise be earning full-time, do not be afraid to kick it in. And remember that as a freelancer, you aren't getting 4 weeks off, a healthcare plan, and a gym membership as part of the package!

5> As I said in point 2, you have to be confident in your abilities. THIS IS PARAMOUNT!!! This is what people are paying you for, they are paying vastly more for a freelancer and expect a premium, expert service from the off. You need to KNOW the full gamut of the features you are using in order to present work accurately, swiftly and economically. You can't do this while you are still learning. Make sure you are 100% proficient from the off. This is VITALLY important.

6> "After hours". What's that all about? So... IF it turns out you are busy every day, probably safe to assume that 5-6 hour working day is constantly achievable, you've still got other aspects of your business to run. You might have to troubleshoot to get to the bottom of problems. There's your admin. There are going to be aspects of your work that you need to carry out that can't be reasonably charged to your clients - if you're having trouble with a particular feature or function that you can't get your head around, that's on your own time. And it adds to your day. And it swallows your free time. And going out becomes a fantasy!! Now that's not to say you can't strike a balance. Client management IS possible if things are done right, you can outsource your admin - DEFINITELY get an Accountant. Weigh up your work-life balance - and be prepared to consider whether it's worth it at the end of the day. Do it right, and a 'normal' life is definitely achievable!

7> What I should have touched upon sooner is that the technology changes. If you want to set up working from home, you initially need your kit, whichever platform you choose. In my case, my decently-spec'd Macs, screens, printers, scanner, drives, software, other accessories... and you'd be looking at cycling your computer every 3-4 years or so to keep up. For instance, Apple's recent switch from Intel-based to Apple Silicon Macs was a massive game changer. If you're not on an AS Mac, you're in the slow lane. Sure, there are credit lines available to you, but as an initial outlay were you to just splash out, you could be looking at $6k or more (conservatively).

That's a lot of things to consider and sounds like the path of a freelancer is dark and lonely. But, not necessarily so, and in the majority of cases, health, wealth and happiness are easily possible. Just don't go in blind and consider the cases listed above. And take your time. Don't rush into it, you don't have to jump in on things tomorrow. Talk to people about it. Don't go in with a closed mind. Make lists. Write things down. Be absolutely sure that it's a situation that will expand your horizons and is, importantly, something you will ENJOY! And when you come to the decision that it is absolutely the right thing to do, go out there and conquer the world! It's the best feeling...

Take care and I hope it all works out!

Freelancing allows you to have a flexible schedule. You can choose your working hours and often work from anywhere as long as you have a computer and internet access. As a freelancer, you have the opportunity to be your own boss. You can decide about the projects you take on, set your rates, and establish your brand.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is absolutely NOT the way things work out. Your schedule is decided by the client, not you. If a job comes in and it's needed immediately, if you're not in a position to do it straight away, chances are you might not get the next job as it will be given to someone who is. In the same way, if it comes in at 4pm and is needed for 9am the next day and it's a good 6 hours' work, you're sill going to be at your computer at 10pm; either that or your next day will start at 6am. The client, in this situation, is your boss. True, you can work for anyone anywhere, but convincing them that having you sitting on one side of the world whilst they are on the other is a difficult thing to do. As for choosing which jobs to take on - that's dangerous! If a particular business cannot rely on you even once because you don't fancy it, chances are you'll never hear from them again. COVID actually worked in remote workers' favour because everyone was in the same boat and working in the office was impossible; but in my experience, more than ever now, people prefer face to face interaction. And that means at least hybrid working - some time at home, the rest in the office. Do your research with regards to rates and see what other people charge - which a lot of designers keep to their chest (myself included). And as far as establishing your brand, that means emails, phone calls and pounding social media - constantly.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is absolutely NOT the way things work out. Your schedule is decided by the client, not you. If a job comes in and it's needed immediately, if you're not in a position to do it straight away, chances are you might not get the next job as it will be given to someone who is. In the same way, if it comes in at 4pm and is needed for 9am the next day and it's a good 6 hours' work, you're sill going to be at your computer at 10pm; either that or your next day will start at 6am. The client, in this situation, is your boss. True, you can work for anyone anywhere, but convincing them that having you sitting on one side of the world whilst they are on the other is a difficult thing to do. As for choosing which jobs to take on - that's dangerous! If a particular business cannot rely on you even once because you don't fancy it, chances are you'll never hear from them again. COVID actually worked in remote workers' favour because everyone was in the same boat and working in the office was impossible; but in my experience, more than ever now, people prefer face to face interaction. And that means at least hybrid working - some time at home, the rest in the office. Do your research with regards to rates and see what other people charge - which a lot of designers keep to their chest (myself included). And as far as establishing your brand, that means emails, phone calls and pounding social media - constantly.
I sure hope you're charging a 'rush' charge for last-minute dashes. I make it clear from the outset that unrealistic timeframes will incur extra charges and no responsibility for any or all errors.

If they're so disorganised that they send it at 4 pm and need it for 9 am - they can damn well pay for it - or else next time they will expect it every time.
If I don't know them it's triple the hourly rate and paid up front and all onus is on them, including any errors made during the rush process.

If I do know them and they are an established client I may not charge the rush fee on a 1 off.

It's ok to say no - I can't work to that timeframe on this occasion, but clearly say you're happy to help on other projects with better timelines for completion.

I wanted to book a mechanic the other day - best time was 9 days away.
I wanted a plumber - best they could do was in 7 days time.
I wanted a plaster - had to wait 2 months
I wanted a gardener - they were booked up through summer - no landscaping done this year.

You work to your schedule, and it's fine to say no.

It depends on the client. As I said previously, you have to take the rough with the smooth. I work mainly for larger retail management clients and that sort of workflow is pretty typical. If a business I do very little, or have done no previous work for, comes at me in that capacity, then yes - they are told in advance that a rush charge will apply and then they can make their own decision as to whether it's worth it to them. But then my regular clients, which are large concerns with whom I have VERY established connections, I'll pretty much make the exception. If an agency they're paying charges £100p/h already, telling them it's going to cost them £300 is frankly taking the mick! And for clients like that, "no" is not remotely an option - regardless as to how well established with them you are, they will find a way of getting it done regardless and the LAST thing you are going to do with an account like this, is let someone else have a bite of the cherry - clients can be fickle, you might never get a sniff of that account again! That takes a special kind of mindset, sure, but I'm OK with that. And I also do my best to make sure I'm constantly available. Multitasking is key to that and it's worked for me for many years! It should be noted by people wanting to go newly freelance that instant success, mega money and a 'laid back' itinerary are not guaranteed. But everyone's different...

Yes, I agree to an extent.

All clients should have a rush charge. And you can optionally waiver it for a 1 off time.

Unknowns, last minute, up front payment, like it or go somewhere else.

I've had established clients ask me for last minute jobs and I say I can't do it and they accept it, but the relationship is good and an undestanding, afterwards there is no animosity.

Each has to be considered on an individual basis.

Remember you are entitled to regular work hours, regular breaks, and time off - including time to disconnect.

If it's after 4pm - I might not even answer the phone, in fact it's turned off 99% of the time.
Email is not monitored after this time either.

Back