Google maps on a static site using javascript

bamme

Hi All

I've been trying to study the Google Maps Javascript API for ages now, in order to place a map on a static website.

The reason for this is that I thought id found something good to use - this: GMapEZ -- Get Started
But unfortunately in IE, I get an alert box telling me my site needs a new API key when i visit my page with the map (Firefox works fine): The Hub [Mockup]

To be honest, Google Maps Javascript API is confusing me a little, not to mention i just hit a wall when it comes to finding out the latitude and longitude values..

I wondered if anyone knew how to get around this problem with IE in GmapEZ, or provide me a ref to a more simple way of understanding how to figure lat and long values and how to actually use google maps javascript api..

.. wow i typed all that without a b, g or m key..

Thanks for weedling out a quick way to do it.. sometimes i think i just go for the long way without realising it!! So yeah this worked great, however i still get the problem with the API key on internet explorer.. does anyone know why this might be, or how to place just a simple image of a map there if IE is detected as the browser being used to view?

Can anyone try it on IE to see?

hm how odd!! thanks v much for checking for me Levi :)
I use vmware on my mac, and have installed ie8 on that, but i noticed odd behaviour in it not displaying flash.. so i didnt 100% trust it..can anyone hazard a guess as to how come my ie behaves differently?

emmaburge said:
can anyone hazard a guess as to how come my ie behaves differently?

vmware, it's on a mac, it's just ie (can't stand it but you have to work with it for sites :mad:)

heheh okay Levi that's what i thought.. i will just give up testing on IE until i buy a crappy testing laptop. Thanks ppl for the help with this!

Emma, if your mac is intel you could install bootcamp as that should be the same as a native windows environment

Hmm i seem to remember for some reason I chose vmware over this.. i really am not sure why now, but there was a reason at the time, cause i remember people mentioning bootcamp. I'll look into it again -- will this provide me a better 'real view' of the way IE displays my sites?

will it give you a better view, in theory yes as it's a normal install.

Not 100% up on vm's on a mac but I know parallels (I assume vmware does too) can link into the bootcamp partition and so you don't need the virtual install of windows of a purely virtual install.

Back