Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google maps on a static site using javascript

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by bamme, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bamme

bamme Senior Member

Hi All

I've been trying to study the Google Maps Javascript API for ages now, in order to place a map on a static website.

The reason for this is that I thought id found something good to use - this: GMapEZ -- Get Started
    But unfortunately in IE, I get an alert box telling me my site needs a new API key when i visit my page with the map (Firefox works fine): The Hub [Mockup]

To be honest, Google Maps Javascript API is confusing me a little, not to mention i just hit a wall when it comes to finding out the latitude and longitude values..

I wondered if anyone knew how to get around this problem with IE in GmapEZ, or provide me a ref to a more simple way of understanding how to figure lat and long values and how to actually use google maps javascript api..

.. wow i typed all that without a b, g or m key..

2. bamme

bamme Senior Member

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

it should be pretty easy by the looks of it - not done it myself though :)

just follow this - Embedding a map into a website or blog - Maps Help

when you're on the google maps page and after clicking link, click customise and preview embedded map to change it's size etc :)

4. bamme

bamme Senior Member

Thanks for weedling out a quick way to do it.. sometimes i think i just go for the long way without realising it!! So yeah this worked great, however i still get the problem with the API key on internet explorer.. does anyone know why this might be, or how to place just a simple image of a map there if IE is detected as the browser being used to view?

Can anyone try it on IE to see?

5. Levi

ie8 windows vista x64, no issues for me using link from first post :)

6. bamme

bamme Senior Member

hm how odd!! thanks v much for checking for me Levi :)
    I use vmware on my mac, and have installed ie8 on that, but i noticed odd behaviour in it not displaying flash.. so i didnt 100% trust it..can anyone hazard a guess as to how come my ie behaves differently?

7. Levi

vmware, it's on a mac, it's just ie (can't stand it but you have to work with it for sites :mad:)

8. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

9. bamme

bamme Senior Member

heheh okay Levi that's what i thought.. i will just give up testing on IE until i buy a crappy testing laptop. Thanks ppl for the help with this!

10. Levi

Emma, if your mac is intel you could install bootcamp as that should be the same as a native windows environment

11. bamme

bamme Senior Member

Hmm i seem to remember for some reason I chose vmware over this.. i really am not sure why now, but there was a reason at the time, cause i remember people mentioning bootcamp. I'll look into it again -- will this provide me a better 'real view' of the way IE displays my sites?

12. Levi

will it give you a better view, in theory yes as it's a normal install.

Not 100% up on vm's on a mac but I know parallels (I assume vmware does too) can link into the bootcamp partition and so you don't need the virtual install of windows of a purely virtual install.