Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting an Accountant

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Nov 20, 2012.

  1. Tony Hardy

    Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

    Hi everyone,

    I need to look into getting an accountant. I want them to wrap up my end of year financials, tax returns etc etc and I wanted to know when the best time is to do it?

    When do tax returns etc normally have to be in by? Am I right in thinking January has some significance (probably way off the mark)?

    Anyway, first time doing it, need to sort it out.

    Also, with it being my first year, I'm not sure whether I could just do it all myself. Any experiences to share?

  2. Stationery Direct

    Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

    Try Tony at Crundell & Co (tony at, he does ours and is spot on, £30-£40 per month although that includes a lot of things you will probably not require...say I sent you.
  3. Katedesign

    Katedesign Well-Known Member

    Get an accountant the first time round - definitely! Yes- returns have to be in by the end of January or you get fine! As always I recommend finding someone local - so you can get down there in person - make a relationship and get to do their design and print!!! Ask friends and family - or perhaps a business contact to recommend someone.
  4. Tony Hardy

    Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

    Do you get a form or whatever sent from HMRC for your tax return? Or a letter informing you it has to be in?
  5. Katedesign

    Katedesign Well-Known Member

    Well I've been on self-assessment for years... and I do it online. You need to sign on online now as it takes a while to send you the confirmation code. It's not hugely difficult to do online - I've been doing mine for years. Take a look at

    Are you paying your NI? Have you registered as self-employed? If you have I'm surprised you've not heard anything!
  6. bigdave

    bigdave Moderator Staff Member

    My other half is in the same situation. The advice she's been given is that if this is your first year of trading (ie; you started after April this year) don't worry too much just yet as you won't have to present accounts until 2014 as the tax man works a year in arrears.
  7. Tony Hardy

    Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

    All the NI forms and things went off last week, so they'll be coming out soon. Yeah, registered self employed and things. And nope, not heard a peep yet.


    Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing too. I'm keeping my tax money back as I go, and have a big holiday planned in summer next year, so I'd like the opportunity to spend it if it's going to be mine anyway ;) Haha.
  8. Edge

    Edge Active Member

    It will also probably help your bookeeping if you use something like Freeagent.
  9. Tony Hardy

    Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

    I'm just running it all in a spreadsheet at the minute. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Share This Page